Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By OhioFitnessGarage
I've been doing a lot of research on purchasing a machine. But what I notice is that the walking foot machines are hard to find a used one. I've been looking at the Sailrite. Does anyone have suggestions on any other machines?
By Cody
To get back into the game and not break the bank I went with the consew premier rb1206. Lots of the same features and interchangeable parts like different feet etc as the consew rb206 but a lot cheaper. Can’t handle the same thickness as the other more expensive machines but I’ve sewn 4 layers of vinyl with welt cord in there and took it slow with no issues. Also it doesn’t have the same distance the feet open but again. Hasn’t been an issue. Been a work horse so far.
LeatherJohnny liked this
By Cody
I didn’t feel the need to. I bought it as a table motor and machine package. The motor was a servo motor. On the slowest setting and a bit of time to get use to it, I have gotten pretty consistent and able to get a stitch at a time. A servo motor vs a clutch motor is the way to go with any machine in my opinion.
LeatherJohnny liked this
By Cody
Before I took a hiatus from upholstery I had a juki lu-562. It was a fast machine but a great machine. The bobbins were small and idk all the differences but the larger bobbins of the lu-563 would have been nicer but. Or a deal breaker. I think they can be found used for a decent price still. But again a fast machine and a different pulley or servo motor really helps. Maybe both even? Just another option
By Cale
I bought a Sailrite Ultrafeed LS-Z last year when I first started learning to sew and realized that the domestic Singer we had wouldn't do the job. The LSZ has been a great machine for me to learn on and to realize what I need and don't need. I have pushed the machine to it's limits and as soon as I back off from there it keeps on going. I am also thinking of upgrading to the Fabricator. It has several features that the LSZ doesn't and for my skill level it looks like it will do almost everything that I "think" that I need it to do.

Overall, the LSZ does everything that Sailrite claims that it will do and their customer service is amazing.
John, LeatherJohnny liked this
By hapyrdr
John has a video on the Fabricator both assembling and testing what it will sew through . Sallrite had a sale so I bought on and am very happy with it . The servo motor is the only way to go
By BigRig
@OhioFitnessGarage <

Can you post a picture of that machine? Welcome to the forum! I spent time in Lexington and Mansfield Ohio. Really for what you are doing take Johns advice and look on craigslist. There is machines under $500 capable of the job. Half my basement is a gym man.
OhioFitnessGarage liked this
By BigRig
@OhioFitnessGarage ,

I see the picture of the machine, that would be a joy to have. The portability might be good if you have to do an equipment repair for a piece distant from you.
LeatherJohnny liked this
By John
@OhioFitnessGarage Whats your budget and will you be using this machine daily or just as a hobby. Where have you been looking for a used one. Cragslist usually has hood deals on used machines.
By Kra z Bill
My son-in-law wanted me to redo some seats in my Grandsons El Comino. I told him that I did not have the correct type of sewing machine to do upholstery work. He found a machine on Amazon called a REX 607, which is made in the same factory as the original Sailrite LS1 . The new LS1s have a lot of up grades the the REX does not have. The REX is kind of a Dinosaur compared to the new LS1, which is why I painted a big red T in front of the name. Parts from the LS1 fit and work great on it, I am slowly up grading it to the quality of the sailrite. But after seeing the review that John did on the Fabricator, I may have to start saving my money.
Attachments
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG (942 KiB) Viewed 11428 times
By OhioFitnessGarage
@John, My budget is $500-$1500. The machine will not be used daily. I am going to use it to make products, test them, then spec them out to be mass produced. The only issue with Craigslist is my learning curve. I don't want to get amichine where it will be hard to find parts for.
By BigRig
@OhioFitnessGarage

I found the same thing as Kraz in my research of the Rex.

You really should have no problem finding a machine in your area. That is the industrial Hub and with so many business closures over the years there has to be a lot of used machines out there for $500.00
By Kra z Bill
OhioFitnessGarage wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:39 pm @Kra z Bill, can the speed be adjusted?
No not with the motor it came with. In fact it is a portable machine. I plan to mount it to a table and get a Sailrite workhorse motor and put under it.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: