Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By 6inarow
that was the first machine I owned. For me it was a good machine and I learned a lot on it. BUT feet are really really really hard to come by. Facebook group called "Vintage Industrial Sewing Machines" was my best source for help
John liked this
I had the 78-1 for a few weeks and then sold it. I kept the 28 until just recently. It worked great but I was doing a lot with jeans and I found the stitch length a little inconsistent. It seemed like the jeans would get stuffed into the needle slot and the stitch length would vary, it got shorter with more layers of material. I picked up a Pfaff 545 H4 so the Consew 28 got sold. I think as long as what you are sewing is firm the needle feed is good. I like the simplicity of the needle feed and oscillating hook, it's a simple solid machine. I like the Pfaff but I found the rotary hook is a little fussier to get running right.
John liked this
By Robsews
I just got a 78-1 from 1916. Having trouble with the front foot adjusted to far down. Stopping at the needle plate. Got it sorted out now to get the back foot to lift more while the front walks back. I can't find a adjusters manual.
By Adam12
Take some pics without the side cover. Dont know the machine but if it uses the singer 111 design might be able to help troubleshoot. What did it do that made you decide it was adjusted too low? I mean could you go into more detail, when you say it stopped at the needle plate, did the machine stop dead or just get harder to turn?
John liked this
By Adam12
@BigRig , it's my favorite thing about old iron, they were made to be rebuilt. But...depends a little on what you have and who is doing it, not all models are good candidates. For instance a fellow trimmer recently brought me an old chandler/adler 67 with a broken timing belt. It was old enough to have had the old fabric belt which is not made any more and also not compatible with a rubber belt without putting new cogs on the shafts. Adler parts are expensive and we would have quickly exceeded the value of the machine with parts and labor and at the end of the day it's still a small bobbin machine. He decided to abort. If you are tackling it yourself though, it can be very rewarding and i'll bet you are handy enough to do it if you have the time to put into it.
John liked this
By BigRig
@Adam12 , I like my machine but it really is not healthy and the small bobbin drives me crazy. I see today on the classifieds a Pfaff not sure on model number yet $2000.00 Consew 206RB-1 under $1000.00 and a few Juki around $1000.00 that are like what John uses in the videos. Not sure what I should get myself into here but I need to keep a machine up and running my junks out and does not stitch well at all.
By Adam12
You have an older 206 or 226 or something right? Can't help with bobbin size but if the needle bar is tight and hook is tight (bushings), then something is probably just out of adjustment and if your timing belt skipped a tooth or two you can drive yourself crazy adjusting other things to no avail. If you haven't watched this video yet, i highly reccommed it to anyone with a triple feed machine.

I am no wizard but happy to help you go through it. As far as the other machines, sit and sew at as many of them as you can. For a $2000 budget you could also consider buying new. Where are you located?
John liked this
By Smooooth
I know I'm late to the party.......

I recently acquired a 78-1 treadle with both table extensions. Came out of a Amish Stable.

I have not figured out exactly what I plan to do with it - yet........ It's just way freakin' cool.

When you look at the pictures, the presser foot lifting bar has been replaced with the proper arm.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gwj6xhYbwtzkuML98

John liked this
By John
@BigRig I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure the 206 is almost identical to the 226. I feel like the information in the video should apply to your machine.
@Adam12 any thoughts on that? You have a better knowledge of machines and fixing them than I do.
By Adam12
Yes! So much of that video applies to so many machines. It's possible some individual specs may differ, but the adjustment procedures are the same until you get to the hook settings obviously. As for the specs, the singer 111-156 manual has a little better explanations of adjustments and illustrations than the consew 226 manual, but i wasn't able to get it to upload, a google search should find it easily. First thing though is to tip it back on the leaning post and turn the wheel until the take up lever is at it's highest position and hold it there with your left hand so it doesn't move. On the bottom right side you'll have timing marks like this
2 arrows should be aligned. If the timing belt is a tooth off, no other adjustments matter.
@Smooooth nice score!
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: