Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By sammy.loyda
Hey yall,
I was sewing with flannel fabric and my sewing machine seized up. I didnt hear anything brake or snap of any sort before it seized up.
My boyfriend and i took a look at it and he made this video explain what we think the problem is.
If anyone could help us, that would be amazing. Thanks! https://youtu.be/JoKrqTAqd34
By souperdoo
Well, you have certainly found something that shouldn't be that way. It is likely the culprit.

That said, one very common reason for a machine to freeze up is getting crappage in the bobbin carrier. It might be worth your while to remove the bobbin case and the gizmotchy (I apologize for using technical jargon but these are, after all, technical things) that keeps the bobbin carrier from spinning. Look for threads that are wrapped around the shaft and that might be jamming the mechanism.

On the seized bushing idea, it is the most likely cause of your problem and you might want to visit this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/744634088944400. It is a very active group, a public group, and seems to have some very knowledgeable people in it regarding domestic machines. And there's the rub. Yours is a domestic machine which, fundamentally, is similar to the industrial machines used by the members of this group but sometimes it's better to go straight to a group of people that deal with a thing day in and day out. That is, vintage domestic machines. The folks here are very knowledgable, to be sure, but are more likely to be using a Juki, PFAFF, or Singer industrial. If they are using an Adler it would be something more like a 467, which is huge compared to your machine. By the by, your Adler is very nice!

Try the FB group, and do let us know how you make out.
John liked this
By souperdoo
Here's a picture so that we may be clear about the area that I am talking about inspecting for crappage. This is an Adler 104, which is probably somewht similar to your machine. You may find it somewhat useful, dunno.

But really, let the folks in the vintage group guide you as to your next steps.
John liked this

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]