Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By MalcolmM
Why do some industrial sewing machines use felt on the bottom thread guide? Others have a sprung guide to put tension on the thread. My machine has neither, but uses an open loop guide. Is there an advantage in sewing with heavy threads that a plane guide doesn't have?
By souperdoo
It works pretty well as a thread lubricator. Dribble your favorite thread lubing potion on it and keep it moist. It's much easier and, I think, more functional than those odd contraptions that you're supposed to stick on top of the machine and keep full of Special High-Speed-Racing Thread Lube that the cult machine seller or the marketer of the odd contraption will sell.

As a side note, the Consew lower guide is easily adapted to the Juki 1541 and others. Of course, the things are outrageously priced at $20ish and you need to keep a dry felt on hand if you don't want lubricated thread...
MalcolmM, Adam12, John liked this
By souperdoo
I should add, though, that this is pretty much a useless thing for upholstery.

Needles can get really hot during high-speed sewing and they can transfer that heat into both the thread and the fabric. The most common problem is thread damage.

If anyone can sew upholstery fast enough to create needle heat they are a most amazing trimmer.
John, Mark M, Matt Hamblin liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: