Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Dented
I've been sewing a bit with a regular sewing machine, mostly clothing. I tried to do a seat for my Jeep but I can't sew two pieces with foam backing. I really need a proper machine. I'm not one to buy entry level, so I know I will be spending a bit. I keep looking at cylinder machines with a flat table attachment like the Techsew 2750 or 4800. I frequently pull the bed off my machine to do narrow work. I've done one seat back and I needed to pull the bed off my machine to it.

I've heard John say it's not needed, but I wanted to hear other opinions.
By Adam12
Just depends on what you'll be doing more of. Sure there are seams from time to time that would be easier with a cylinder arm or post bed but i personally have gotten by with a flat bed for all of my needs and i suspect your flat work might be more difficult. Not to discount them, if you need one you have to have it. If you are talking upholstery, you'd get by and do fine with it but i wouldn't want it to be my only machine. Plus they are really expensive.
John liked this
By Dented
Thank you for the reply. They are quite expensive. I would like to do this just once. The Techsew 2750 and 4800 have table attachments to make them flatbeads. I'll mull it around 10,000 more times before I make a purchase.
By MalcolmM
I have a flatbed and a cylinder arm, for just upholstery you can do nearly everything with a flatbed but I also make products and for that the cylinder arm is great.
John liked this
By Mtl_Biker
Dented wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:41 pm Thank you for the reply. They are quite expensive. I would like to do this just once. The Techsew 2750 and 4800 have table attachments to make them flatbeads. I'll mull it around 10,000 more times before I make a purchase.
I realize this is an older thread (I just joined) but wanted to comment about the table attachment for the Techsew 2750...

I have the 2750 Pro and it came with the table attachment. Before buying it I thought that would be a handy feature to have, but the fact is, that I have never actually installed it. (I also have a great flatbed machine.) The table attachment requires that you install some threaded rods to support the table, and they need to be adjusted quite well. It's not a job that you want to do unless you then intend to use that configuration for quite awhile. Probably 15 minutes work to get it set up. You're not going to want to switch back and forth every 30 minutes or so.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest that a good flatbed machine should be your first purchase and for your purpose very likely would be all you really need.

Cheers!
Adam12, MalcolmM, John liked this
By BigRig
@Mtl_Biker , thank you for that honest feedback. The videos of that machine make it seem the users can switch back and forth with ease. It sure can acccomodate a wide variety of thread sizes well. I keep looking at their line up for long arms.
By Mtl_Biker
@BigRig It's not a difficult job to install the flatbed attachment, but every time you do, the threaded rods need to be readjusted and you really can't leave the rods in place either. So it really isn't something you'd want to pop on and off multiple times a day. Marketing videos don't always tell the full story. :)

I usually use v92 thread and sometimes v138. Works fine. I like the standard large-size bobbins (the same as used by my Consew 206RB-5) but dislike the half-size bobbin case. I wish it used the full size case like the Consew. I am quite pleased with the Techsew and the fact that they're in Montreal as I am, is also nice. I'm thinking of getting one of their post bed machines... there's one that has a walking foot and uses the same needle system as my other industrials.

My most recent machine is the Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 Premium. I'd been tempted to get one for more than a year and finally got one after looking at other clones. I didn't really NEED a portable machine but it's nice to have, but for some reason I was keen to have a machine that did zig-zag. I haven't used zig-zag stitches yet (other than just to try) but I never imagined it would be as useful as it's turning out to be. Being able to set the needle position left, center or right is a great benefit! On my other machines I'd often have to change the presser foot to be able to sew something but with this machine repositioning the needle usually does the trick. The only thing I hate about that machine is the really small domestic machine size bobbin. I'm forever running out of bobbin thread.

Cheers!
By BigRig
@Mtl_Biker , I am in agreement with the smaller size bobbin. I am not sure Tech Sew tells the whole history of how they became who they are or that Ron there grew up in that world. I have the same thoughts on the Post Bed machine and am going to look at their line.
By Mtl_Biker
BigRig wrote:@Mtl_Biker , I am in agreement with the smaller size bobbin. I am not sure Tech Sew tells the whole history of how they became who they are or that Ron there grew up in that world. I have the same thoughts on the Post Bed machine and am going to look at their line.

There was an article I found somewhere about how Techsew started. I forget the name of the original company, but it was a lot more in the east end of Montreal and it was started by Ron's father. It was an interesting read. I just tried to search it out but without remembering the original company name, I couldn't find it.

Just to be clear, the Techsew 2750 has the same large size bobbin as the Consew 206RB-5. It's just the bobbin case that is smaller. And the Sailrite LSZ-1 has a much smaller domestic size bobbin.

Cheers!
John liked this
By ChapelWorx
I think it depends on the work you do. I started doing these large Vetinarian pads for horses, bulls etc and they are supposed to be waterproof so no zipper. The cylinder makes it much easier for me to close up the end of the large opening because the table isn't in the way. I cant do it on my Consew. I have used it a few times to top stitch cylinders and tight curves as well. I bought it on a whim from someone that had to move quickly and didn't regret it.
John liked this
By BigRig
Buy if you have the $ and you will ease a lot of sewing difficulties. How often do you really think you will be using the machine though?
By Mtl_Biker
BigRig wrote:@Mtl_Biker , It is actually the 205RB series I am curious about.

I really don't know much about the 205RB... I have a 206RB-5. I'm pretty sure though that the 205RB doesn't have compound feed, only top and bottom feed. (The 206RB adds needle feed.) Also it's primarily a vinyl and cloth sewing machine... not too suitable for leather, especially since the presser foot lift is only about 6mm (1/4").
Adam12 liked this
By BigRig
@Mtl_Biker , I owe you some $ just saved me a sale ha ha. I am actually going to buy a used Juki like Johns that is in a shop I know it sews well.
John liked this

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: