General discussions about our craft and industry.
By jenson102
Hi guys,

I have a car that I am looking to replace some of the interior (seats, center console, etc.). I see that places like Katzkin and leatherseats, roadwire, etc. offer kits. Do you guys have an opinion as to the quality of these kits versus if an auto upholsterer makes his own (presumably from the existing seat covers as a template?)

Are these places the predominant way that a person gets new seat covers? I am not sure of the economics of it, but if eg, a Katzkin interior costs $2000 and custom one is double that price, is that a question of you get what you pay for?

Thanks.
By IvanD
I asked same question here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3941

I've seen some lseats covers and they look horrible. Those french seams look like 3 year old did them.
$2k should be a decent product IMO, but who knows. I know today I can get same LX interior (in my post above) for around $800. Those don't look as good installed but still, it's very cheap. I totally get it when people don't want to pay 4-5k for custom on old cars, it's a luxury then..

So, if it's expensive car and of value - go custom.

If it's daily driver with ripped seats - covers probably good budget solution.

There is 3rd option. Go custom, but get shitty job and it will be both bad and expensive :)
By John Long
The problem with pre-sewn seat covers is they only look as good as the seat they are installed on. If your foam or padding is bad there is no seat cover that is going to look good... Or smell good for that matter.

The secret to using an aftermarket seat cover is making the seat itself fill out and fit the cover. It can be done but that itself requires some work and a certain amount of skill.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

John
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: