General discussions about our craft and industry.
I joined the forum to see if there are any people on here who live in Western New England (Pioneer Valley to the Berkshires) who have done automotive reupholstery. I'm pretty good mechanically and I'm working on my 1969 Camaro. I have a pair of donor bucket seats (not Camaro) that I'd like to get redone without breaking the bank. Was also debating about recovering with Katskins or something similar. Are these any good?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Mike
There are quite a few people on here located in England. Hopefully one is close enough to you.
Katskins and other pre-made covers can be good or really bad. Usually to get them to fit right you need to fiddle around with adding foam or batting in areas where the cover doesn't fit your foam well.
I'll keep waiting, maybe somebody semi-local will respond. I've looked at some rebuild threads in one of my car forums and yes... to get a nice, snug fit some extra foam is often added. I can't find it any more, but last year I saw one example where the guy used wet suit neoprene like material of about 1/4" thick on his bolsters it was just enough to make them nice and taut. Saw another where the guy used sub-carpet batting he got as remnants from a local carpet store, he used that fibrous material under the foam between the wire frame so the foam didn't get cut into by the wires. Interesting stuff.

Mike
Boat project

So this winter I decided to redue my boat interior[…]

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]