General discussions about our craft and industry.
By akenney212
I have an Artisan 797AB Walking foot machine. I'm in the middle of the Apprentice course and I'm sewing the 8inch pieces together as John has directed in his videos but no matter what I do I can't get the pieces to line up at the end of the pieces. It seems like the bottom fabric is getting pulled quicker by the machine? I line them up drop the presser foot, sew a back stich and start off slowly but even half way through I can see it's pulling the bottom material faster than the top?
I'm not even touching the material and it gets off.....It's ending up like anywhere from 1/8th to 1/4 off at the end.... Does my machine need adjustment? Is my pressure foot pressure to much or not enough... A bit frustrated so I go on but I need to figure this out? I can't get them perfect like in his videos..... Flat, even at both ends... Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
By Adam12
You could try just tugging on the bottom piece as you sew, putting match marks will help determine how much resistance to give it. As far as adjustments, try increasing foot pressure if that doesn't help try adjusting the upper feed. Section 28 of this manual addresses the upper feed adjustment. I know its not an artisan manual but it'll work for you. Good luck!
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
By akenney212
Thanks Adam. I've tried pulling the bottom one but there has to be some adjustment or I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to work on a couple of things tonight and tomorrow to try and figure it out.....Your manual is similar...Thanks for posting that.
By Revv Up
I would think foot pressure and feed dog height would be the adjustments I’d be looking for.
Adam12 liked this
By BigRig
@akenney212 , the more you do you will find this to be the case. I think you may beat yourself up pretty good trying to get it perfect. You have a 1/2 seam allowance on there lots of wiggle room.
Adam12 liked this
By John
All of the adjustments recommended above are a definite possibility. Is your machine new or used?
Your manual should have instructions on setting the feed and timing settings. However I typically just bring my machine in to get serviced when I start to suspect issues like this.

Also I want to add that its pretty uncommon for a machine to sew the top and bottom pieces perfectly aligned with out guidance from the operator. I'm not saying this is the case here but 1/8 inch is not that far off and may just need a little assistance to ensure the ends line up.

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]