General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Donalie
I am reupholstering the arms of my Eames lounge chair. The rubber tubular cord/piping/welt needs replacing because it is broken. I can’t find anything like this. What should I replace it with that would be firm like the original. The rest of the upholstery that I’m not replacing has the same cord/piping/welt and it is in good condition. The tubular cord is 1/4” diameter.
By souperdoo
In the things that I make I use a piping to stiffen up things so they will hold their shape. I use a smaller, 1/8" material that is a stiff foam. It works well for my purposes. It is available in 1/4" diameter.

There are hollow foam welting cords available, but I have not seen it in 1/4". That certainly doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

(Some time elapses)... Well, I looked around quickly. Not the place I'd usually recommend for upholstery supplies, but here is a source of 1/4" welting cord:

https://www.sailrite.com/Foam-Piping-We ... kcQAvD_BwE
By BigRig
@Donalie ,

I had the exact same problem and looked round and round and just received 50 ft of that 1/4" cord from Sailrite. It is all your are going to find and the firmness is really good as well as the flexiblility.
By souperdoo
BigRig wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:34 am @souperdoo . they probably made the hollow to allow it to flex.
I am sure you are right, and I suspect that I can't find 8/32' hollow foam because there's no need for it and it would collapse if you bent it around a sharp corner.
John liked this

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]