General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Mikesimpson
What are all of you guys using to make templates for custom seats? I draw all my seams out on the seat foam and then I put clear plastic over it and trace it on to the plastic. I’m currently getting my plastic from Walmart in the craft section. It’s on a roll and I think it’s used for furniture covering. They sell it my the yard and that kinda sucks because they have to measure it by the yard every time, so as you can imagine when your buying it in 7 or 8 yard lengths they tend to mess it all up. They can’t seem to figure out how to order me an entire roll. I haven’t been able to find it on Albrights web site either. So what are you guys using ?
By hapyrdr
I got mine at Walmart also ,liked that they had several weights to pick from and I doubt that the price will be beaten . They didn't tear it up though and I brought it home and rolled it a tissue paper up on a piece of 2"pvc
By Mikesimpson
I have been taking it home and putting it on an old cardboard tube. It would just be nice to be able to buy the entire roll with out them trying to unroll it to measure it. I'm just kinda picky I guess. It comes with that thin paper backing to separate it and when they try to roll it all back up it gets bunched and folded and ends up putting creases in the vinyl. But it as worked so far. I'm just looking for other alternatives.
By Mikesimpson
Thanks @torriec. I'm guessing that must be a lot thicker than what I have been using. The stuff that I get from walmart is about a $1.50 a yard. But the thicker material may be better for making my templates. I'll have to order some with my next vinyl order to try it out.
torriec liked this
By John
I usually use between 5 and 12 gauge for pattern material. Whatever is available and cheep.

@torriec It would be great if you guys had some thinner cheaper options. 16 gauge will work, I find it to be a little too stiff though.
torriec liked this
By Bondo497
@torriec
That would be great! I don't have time to run around town looking for materials so if y'all start carrying it all I have to do is pick up the phone and give you a call! :thumbsup:
Kra z Bill, torriec, John liked this
By BigRig
I am with John on the lighter guage material for pattern making. You guys having troubles with wavy seams may be getting some wrinkles in your original patterns which is showing up in the finished product.
By kl4bidn
Also at Walmart is White Oly-craft. Walmart $1.49 a yard. 60" wide. On a bolt is the only thing. I rerolled on tube. I like it cause you can see your marks and stuff through it.

Also used vinyl. This gives you a 'real feel'.
John liked this

I’m not sure what you are using on the edge […]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]