General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Scott D
I've spent some time searching for vendors, not much out there or I just didn't go deep enough in my google search. Is there a good source for this material, more than just black or tan. Thanks
By BigRig
I found it on Amazon, traced its manufacture back to China.
By John
Hey @Scott D! Good question.
Alcantara is becoming very difficult to source. There has been such a large demand for the fabric from large corporate accounts such as Lamborgini , Ferarri, BMW, Microsoft and Apple. Alcantara cant keep up with the demand and due to the capacity of the factory its getting hard to find at our level. And Its not gonna be cheep!
You should still be able to buy it at Hydes Leather if you call them. Also maybe JPM coachworks https://www.jpmsupplyco.com/collections/alcantara
Maybe UK Hide as well. https://www.ukhide.co.uk/

I have herd that Dinamica suede is a good alternative. Might be worth checking out.
There is also the typical Ultrasuede and other generic suede options as well.

Personally I don't see all the hype about Alcantara and I love most suede, whatever type it is. But some people want the name brand...

@BigRig Sounds like that might be a fake . Real Alcantara is made in Italy. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing counterfeit alcantara with it getting so hard to find.
By Scott D
Alacantra is like starbucks, it's all in the name. There are some spamming clowns on ebay selling Alacantra "TYPE" materials. Maybe I'll just look for some tweed.
By BigRig
Holy!!!!

This is seriously good to know! That was very educational. I was in the fabric store yesterday handling the Suede samples. I will pass on the Alacantra . Thanks Guys!!!
John liked this
By John
Scott D wrote:Alacantra is like starbucks, it's all in the name. There are some spamming clowns on ebay selling Alacantra "TYPE" materials. Maybe I'll just look for some tweed.
Ahh tweed... Now that is one fad that I hope never comes back.
SmokinSCustoms liked this
By BigRig
@jdenison89 , any updates on sources or if yoy have used the new steering wheel Alcantara?
By jdenison89
@BigRig Relicate and Hydes are my go to still for Alcantara. I have used the steering wheel, it has the thickness of "cover" but the stretch of "panel". Only thing is its limited to black I believe.
John liked this
By Matt Hamblin
@Scott D keyston also offers Alcantara but not sure on availability. Still expensive. Suede is getting hard to find. Especially in different colors other than grey. Just finished a platinum colored suede headliner in an old truck and have been searching for affordable burgandy colored for another job. Not easy to find. Also pretty expensive unless you get like unisuede or a cheaper option like that.

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: