By Matt Hamblin
I am wondering what would a fair price be to remove and replace (build) a new carpet?

I have a customer with a Model A that had interior redone several years back, but the carpet has faded and has stains
so he just wants it replaced. I can get the materials but Im not sure what to charge for labor.

Reason being, it has been done before and all the carpet is glued to the floorboard. So I have no way of knowing what is underneath until I take it out. So the labor seems like it could be very difficult with the removal and he wants new sound deadening installed as well. It is a flat floorboard with no tunnel, so I don't think it will be hard to shape, but most concern is about the time invested in the removal and having to re glue everything in.

Just curious what some of your thoughts would be in this area. I want to be fair but also make some money in the process. I way undersold my last carpet job because of how much work it needed underneath, so I want to avoid that hit again.

Thanks in advance!
By John
That looks like needle punch backless carpet by the picture. Have you pealed up the edge and checked if its real carpet or not?

It shouldn't be too difficult remove. There should be a layer of jute under the carpet as well. There is no drive shaft tunnel so the job should be pretty easy. You may have to make it 2 pieces to make it fit the firewall without wrinkles. Rough estimate would be 10 hours. But as you know that can vary greatly so make sure your customer understands that the price can change.
Matt Hamblin liked this
By Matt Hamblin
@John

Thanks for your input. I was thinking between 8 and 10 most likely too. I have not gotten any closer looks at it since first talking with the customer. He is wanting to replace what is there with German Square Weave. Nice that it has no tunnel but i really wont know what im getting till i can look at it again. Been waiting for some time for samples to come in so i can show him the fabric.

I feel like i can give him a fair estimate now and figure in the carpet and jute that he chooses.

Thanks again!
By Matt Hamblin
@John
Would you recommend getting the backed carpet with the german square weave or the non-backed? The carpet that is in it looks pretty thin and it has no sill trim so you can see the edge of the carpet. Im worried with the backed carpet it may sit too proud and be visible.
By John
I personally always use backed carpet for automotive floors. Non-backed wont hold up well to foot traffic. I only use that stuff to wrap wall of trunks, speaker boxes, etc.
I would use regular backed German square weave and sew on a finished edge anywhere that the edge is not covered by a trim piece.
John Long, Matt Hamblin liked this
By John Long
German Square Weave is not cheap but I just bought some from Relocate last month. They have it in a 71” wide roll which is pretty cool. That also makes the 119 buck a yard a little easier to take.

I have had it in my '36 Ford for 10-12 years. It is really good. As John said, it is stiff but it is also pretty thin which makes it much easier to bind neatly than most carpets.

John Long
John, Matt Hamblin liked this
By Matt Hamblin
@John Long , Yes that is where i quoted this carpet from too. It was the only place i could find that had quality product and it was in stock. It went up to 129 this week of course but it is what it is. I have the job scheduled for the first week of Feb so I am going to see how it all comes apart then.
John Long, John liked this
By Matt Hamblin
@John
Yeah i checked there first but they were out of stock on all the colors he wanted. Found a nice Burgundy from Relicate that the customer really liked.
John liked this
By John Long
It is still on Albright's web page but they were out of stock on everything when I checked a couple of months ago. I suspect they have quit stocking it.

John
By John
@John Long Possibly but Im not sure. I was on the phone with the owner a few days ago and he said that they recently changed inventory software and their website software. He said its been a tough few months with lots of hick ups. So that could also be whey the inventory inst showing on the website.
John Long, Matt Hamblin liked this
By Matt Hamblin
@John
@John Long
@BigRig

Finally got the Model A in the shop for the carpet job. Just got started on it and im looking forward to seeing it come together.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: