By WesleyBurt
Hello fellow trimmers. I have a project I am not quite sure how to attack at the moment. I have a steering wheel that I told a friend I would recover for him and I have no idea how to go about it. What are some helpful videos I could find or like a step-by-step instruction guide with pictures I could track down to help with this project? I have purchased the video courses but could not find anything related to this project. If I have missed something please let me know. I look forward to the replies I will get. Just a thank you to all who answer my questions.
By BigRig
@WesleyBurt , I think you are going to have to You Tube for videos on that topic. I hope they are a really good friend because not only are you investing over 08 hours of time at a minimum you could be looking at a couple of redos on that wheel.
John liked this
By IvanD
BigRig wrote:@WesleyBurt , I think you are going to have to You Tube for videos on that topic. I hope they are a really good friend because not only are you investing over 08 hours of time at a minimum you could be looking at a couple of redos on that wheel.
Hehe. Right. I think 8hr of videos. And 15-20hr for first wheel. But I didn't have to redo-it. But there is plenty of places to screw up. I was able to work in 2-3hr increments to stay focused.
John liked this
By John
Chechflo on YouTube has some good videos on this but they are very long. The information is good though.

The Lucky Needle hasn't filmed any videos on this yet but I plan to in the future. Hand stitching steering wheels is a very long and tedious process and is a pretty advanced skill set. That's why I haven't filmed any videos on that subject yet.
By IvanD
I will add that "hand stitching" is actually easiest part of this.
Making template and marking where stitches will go - thats most important part.

And which one you going to do? Baseball stitch? This is what I was doing.
Or "euro"? Looks simpler to me.

And. If you go with leather - pay very close attention to instructions in videos. Measuring is super-important. Leather does not stretch like vinyl. Vinyl will stretch and help you cover mistakes. Not so much with leather. With leather you have to be within 1/16-1/32
John liked this

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: