By John Miller
I'm thinking of a winter project of making a convertible top to replace my old 20 year old ragtop on a 1961 Sunbeam Alpine.
Any chance The Lucky needle will have a course on this?
Some questions are like what material to use ( good quality material will be about half the cost of the cheapest premade top) - Everflex British Vinyl, Stayfast Cloth, twillfast cloth?
What gauge plastic window - 30, 40?
Any other notes or suggestions I should be aware of?
By John Long
If you will do a search on YouTube. there is a video on making a scratch made top by Steve Holcomb for a ‘59 Impala. Steve used a factory rear curtain and scratch made the top.

He does a beautiful job of it and explains the process very well. I think you will find it worth looking at.

I am just finishing up a convertible top and would also consider making it myself, if I had it to do over again. The top fits well and is pretty wrinkle free but I wish it came down farther on the sides over the doors. That can only be controlled if you make your pwn top.

I also wish @John would add a top course but there is enough information out there that you can do it. Especially, if you have an old top for a pattern.

John

By John
Unfortunately I dont have much experience making Convertible tops from scratch. Most people go with the ready made tops available for most cars.
I have seen actual convertible to fabrics for sale at Keystone bros but I dont remember the name of it.

Keep us updated on how the project goes if decide to go for it!
By John Long
Just to be clear, The top on my car is a Kee brand top. I did not make it, nor, have I ever made one from scratch.. I hope my post was not misleading.

I do believe I could make a top that would, in some ways, fit better, but I would probably not go to the trouble and aggravation to make the rear curtain and/or window.

John
John liked this
door card material

Any suggestions for a door card material suitable […]

MarineVinylFabric ?

Has anyone used Marine Vinyl Fabric vinyl for thei[…]

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]