By vicstric
Hey guys!
Time to do a small (hopefully) project for myself. I have a 2007 Malibu where all four doors have the vinyl cracking and one door had the fabric pulling away from the insert. I thought ,"well how hard can it be"... lol

The door panel has a lot of curvature to it. I removed one door panel and pulled the vinyl off. On the main section of the door, the vinyl peeled away from the backing material.. The backing is not fabric. It is like a pvc material about 1/16 inch thick, not really foam. That seems well glued down. The insert seems to have a very thin foam under it. I found some other people in a goodgle search where that area is a problem for may different vehicles. Kind of like what headliners end up doing. The foam deteriorates and that is the end.

I am concerned fabric backed vinyl will not make the curves. They have 4way stretch vinly but it is a little pricy. I am wonderinf if they make a quality vinyl for auto use that does not have a backing? It seems like something like that would be easy to heat and stretch to fit around pronounced curves. Should i try to remove the backing that is still seemingly stuck pretty good? or just glue over?

On the insert, the piece is like a formed fiber piece. Not very substantial. Should i clean and reuse or is there and alternative material that would work well? Would the best foam be something like headliner material?

By John
Oh boy... I think your in for a big project unfortunately. Those panels look like the material was vacuum formed to take the shape. Some of it you will be able to wrap with vinyl no problem but other parts you will probably need to add seams to get it fitting without wrinkles....
By John
Yeah sorry... I promise you will learn a ton though! Biting off way more than I can chew is exactly how I learned so much so fast. Lol just be glad its a personal project so it doesn't mater how long it takes :thumbsup:
By vicstric
Ok, i did a little mock up on my door panel. Looking for opinions. Do you guys thing seams in this location is ok or should I put another seam on the inside of the arm rest? I was thinking about a french seam around the outsie edge and leave the rest a regular seam. addition thoughts requested. Like all my other projects, "what have i done?!" .... lol

FYI the part on the forward armrest toward the bottom where I just turned and went straight down will be hidden under the polastic panel that goes at the bottom of the door.

By vicstric
french seams for sure. This was just a mock up since i have no idea what I am doing. Those inside curves are rounded so I didn't know if it would look better with a seam there or just glue it down.

Unless you're like me and mark the underside for y[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: