By ed28wood
Love the channel and learned a lot here. I do have a few questions. I have a 95 jeep cherokee that I am about to do my headliner in and I was wanting to add a little something extra that no one else has. If you have ever been inside a semi then you know most of them have a place above the driver seat that houses a CB Radio. I would like to do a fiberglass pocket for mine and another one for a scanner and then have it extend the length on the ceiling to the rear. Also adding in some extra lights for when I go camping. I have the chipboard and tape at the ready. I was thinking about pulling the headliner out this weekend and start cutting and shaping it to get my dimensions. Has anyone done this? Or can anyone point me in the right direction?
The images is what I am aiming towards without the buttons. But with red accents.
Attachments
Headliners-Kenworth-T600-15087614.jpg
Headliners-Kenworth-T600-15087614.jpg (86.06 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
By John
Hi @ed28wood Welcome to the forum!

So the trouble I see you running in to is creating something sturdy enough to hold the radio. Those headliners are not sturdy and very light weight. They are only held in by the side trim, dome light and visors. The radio will need to be solid mounted to the roof some how.

My first idea is to remove the headliner. Make a nice mount and detective surround for the CB. I would probably use metal or fiberglass and then cover it with fabric after its attached to the roof. I would probably use 3m panel bond to attach it to the roof to avoid welding or screwing that would damage the paint on the exterior. Once that part is installed and warped install your CB and run all the wires.
Now you will need to very carefully cut the headliner board to perfectly fit around the CB radio mount. Be very careful not to cut to much it needs to fit nicely and you will probably have to sneak up on it in steps checking the fitment multiple time. Not you can wrap the headliner and install it.

That's just my first idea I can think of. I'm sure there will be others on here with good ideas as well.
By ed28wood
:relaxed:
I was thinking along the same lines. It would make since to spot weld the bracket into place instead of replacing the headliner with a completely fiber glassed one. Maybe reinforce it with fiber glass in strategic locations in the ceiling. That would cut the cost down quite a bit.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: