By GiriX1000
Hi all,
I have noticed that when removing covers from older seats with zig zag springs, that the seat springs are normally under some tension. When making patterns for the boxing using clear plastic, if you don’t compress this spring while creating the pattern, the cover will not compress the seat spring and the seat will not have the same profile as original. When patterning do you just eyeball this compression factor or should you tie the spring down to replicate the profile it would be in with the cover installed? When you have the original cover it is easy to see how much the cover tensioned the springs but what do you do if you have just a bare spring and no cover to guide you? Is there a rule of thumb of how much compression a seat spring should be under? Or am I overthinking this.

Thanks,
Aaron
John liked this
By John
I think your over thinking it a little. You will never get spring seats perfect like you can with with full foam seats. I always just make my patterns with out the springs compressed. Then pull and steam the cover tight sow that the springs compress a little and you get the look you are going for. The trick is allowing your self enough extra fabric to reach spots to hog ring to. Or sometimes I will attach tack strips under the frame and staple the cover instead of hog rings.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: