By JF TüR
Hello to all of you. I've been behind the scenes for a while and decided to join the forum today. I've been reading and watching videos, very usuful.

I guess I should introduce myself a little since it's my first post. I'm not new to sewing but new to upholstery. I bought a project car 4 years ago and I completed the mechanical part of it a year ago, now it's time to work on the interior... The car came with Recaro sports seats from 1995 so they're worn out... I bought a walking foot machine, a nice leather hide for the bolsters. I dismantle the seats and made the pattern. I'll have to learn to fix some bolsters with foam etc...

Anyways, to come back to the main subject. I have this vision of using a tweed fabric for the center inserts. Usually tweed is 100% wool and I'm thinking that it's most likely not a good idea for a summer car... To you that's a professional, what would you use? I'll be layering it with 1/4" scrim foam. I annexed a picture of what I'm looking for. Cheers!
Attachments
e9b4e35ba68232bc6ab85b5bc36f3f3e_703x703.jpg
e9b4e35ba68232bc6ab85b5bc36f3f3e_703x703.jpg (115.04 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Screenshot_20240331_094316_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_094316_Chrome.jpg (168.95 KiB) Viewed 457 times
By fibersport
I can't help you too much on the material but you might want to use 1/2" scrim instead of 1/4". I'm doing a set of Jeep seats and that's what I'm using. I did some practice pieces with 1/8 and 1/4, the 1/2" just looks nicer. Have you considered using Sunbrella? There are tons of colors and patterns and they have different finishes as well. The only downside I can think of is that it doesn't stretch so you'll have to compensate for that. By the way, I'm new to sewing so my comments and $5 will get you a cup of coffee -
By JF TüR
Thanks for swimming in! Ya I was debating about the scrim foam. You might be right and I should be using 1/2 on the centers and maybe keep 1/4 for the bolsters.

I did find specific fabric for car upholstery that mimics the tweed. But they are very coarse and rough/dry feeling the the touch. I guess I just haven't found exactly what I'm looking for... I'm wondering if any of you used wool tweed in the past and if it's a no-no for sure. You hear wool is cool in summer and warm in winter but for car seats I don't think so!
By JF TüR
These guys have done exactly what I have in mind. But I can't really ask them what they've used right? I totally agree with their description, it's period correct for an older European car. They also say that tweed is a nice soft material and I've read its pretty thick and easy to wash.
Is it a polyester that mimics tweed or its actually wool tweed? That's what I would like to find out! Anyone here ever used or made something like on the picture?

https://www.edgeautomotive.co.uk/genera ... w-mk2-golf
By fibersport
Here is a picture of my center insert with the bolsters, one sewn and the other not, both have 1/2" scrim. Honestly I would not even consider 1/4" unless it was for door cards, there just isn't enough definition.
Attachments
IMG_4854.jpg
IMG_4854.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 350 times
By Adam12
We are using this product from Ennis in a party bus right now. It's a textured vinyl so it's soft to the touch. Called Linum Gunmetal
Last edited by Adam12 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JF TüR
fibersport wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:57 pm Here is a picture of my center insert with the bolsters, one sewn and the other not, both have 1/2" scrim. Honestly I would not even consider 1/4" unless it was for door cards, there just isn't enough definition.
Since I have to repair my bolsters and I was thinking of covering my repair with 1/4 scrim after completion, I though 1/4 scrim on the covers would be plenty as it adds up the 1/2". I'm I wrong to think that? Like I said previously I have no experience with upholstery so...

Yours look definitely really good. Is that leather or vinyl? If leather, did you use an interfacing?
By JF TüR
Adam12 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:18 pm Image
That does look amazing actually! It it looks just like the real thing as well. And I thank you for the recommendation. I think for your application it's absolutely perfect but I'm not sure if I want to use vinyl on a sport seat, especially if my bolsters are leather. Cheers
By fibersport
JF TüR wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:19 pm
fibersport wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:57 pm Here is a picture of my center insert with the bolsters, one sewn and the other not, both have 1/2" scrim. Honestly I would not even consider 1/4" unless it was for door cards, there just isn't enough definition.
Since I have to repair my bolsters and I was thinking of covering my repair with 1/4 scrim after completion, I though 1/4 scrim on the covers would be plenty as it adds up the 1/2". I'm I wrong to think that? Like I said previously I have no experience with upholstery so...

Yours look definitely really good. Is that leather or vinyl? If leather, did you use an interfacing?
Thanks for the compliment, the loose areas should tighten up when I install them. I'm not following when you say you're covering your repair with skrim. Are you planning on leaving the original material and adding new on top? On mine, I took the original covers apart and a friend made me patterns. the 1/2" skrim was glued to the leather and the pattern traced onto it, then it was sewn on the line and cut out. As I said it is leather, what do you mean by interfacing?
By JF TüR
There's a local upholster who told me to fix the bolsters with glue and foam, then shape. Once done, cover the repair with glued on top 1/4 scrim. That's what I was told. But thinking about it now with what you're saying, maybe it would be easier & cheaper to just do 1/2 scrim on the leather and call it a day. So you glued it on the leather. I wasn't sure if I should glue entirely or just spots? I've seen both done.

You know, interfacing it's being fused to fabric with an iron. I've seen interfacing "stick and Peel" for leather or vinyl. But if you're asking I'm assuming you didn't use it!

What are those nice seats you're doing for? Looks like a Porsche shape! For you? Cheers
By fibersport
The seats are going into a Jeep CJ7, when done they will be the nicest thing on the whole vehicle! I now understand what you were saying about the 1/4". So you are repairing the foam and then covering the whole seat foam with the 1/4". My friend who has years of experience in upoholstery work suggested I do someting similar as my foam needs some repairs as well. His suggestion was again 1/2" plus the 1/2" that's already attached to the leather. His comments were that it's 40 year old foam and it has really lost its shape. With 1/4", you could always keep building it up to see how you like the look of it in varying thicknesses.

I just looked up interfacing. One of my boat projects has it attached to the backside of the vinyl. I bought replacement covers made by the same ladies that made the originals in 1984, the original had it but the new replacements did not. I'm not really sure what it does other than provide another thickness of soft material. I don't think I'll be adding it on my boat project.
By JF TüR
I won't be adding interfacing on my leather either but I was curious to see if you did. I do add some on fabric that are thin or not necessarily made to be upholstery fabric just to give them more "body".

My bolsters are not 40 years old like your but they're not new either at 30... Recaro don't make a replacement so I'll have to repair them. You might be right with the 1/2" scrim to compensate... Maybe I'll get some for a test run. Thanks!
fibersport liked this
Glue spraying question

Yes. I found a quart size pot that I use.

Purple Diamonds.

I kinda did the same thing although I have diffe[…]

1984 corvette seat

Leather is not cheap that's for sure, especially u[…]

Ford F250 project

Are you sourcing the embroidery file or making it […]