By miket
Well I blew my boat engine last week so she is in the shop. I can't work on my enclosure so I have been planning some upholstery work for later.

It seems Naugahyde is a fairly inexpensive material and gets good reviews.
They have quite a few different types and I was wondering which would be the best for seat cushions and such?

I do not see any pleated options so I was thinking I could sew in the pleats if I decide to use them. Good practice and I think it would be a nice feature.

Any thoughts? Other options?

Thanks
By BigRig
@miket,

I like the All American. Cale has used that as well and likes it. Taking some old marine seating apart the material was Naugahyde all American too.
miket, Cale liked this
By miket
Thanks @BigRig
My bolsters are covered in naugahyde and it is too thick,stiff for seats and cushions.
I do not know which one he used so I was wondering which one was softer and more suited for cushions .
I will look at the All American.
Thanks
By John
Naugahyde is great stuff! There are also many other brands that ar3e great for boat seats as well. You should ask for some sample charts from your supplier so you can feel for what you like. If you dont have a supplier. Alright's supplies sends out a great sample package to its customers.
By miket
@John
I do not have a supplier.
I have been using Sailrite because there is nothing near me.
They have plenty of samples but they charge for them. I do not mind paying but have no idea which ones to get. Buying them all would be a small fortune. Lol

I will look at Albrights.

Thanks
John liked this
By BigRig
@miket
I have all the Naugahyde sample cards and will look at them. Naugasoft is used in dental seating and some of the softest vinyl around.
By BigRig
@miket ,

You should consider Seascape Allbright Supply AKA as Tortoga from Bry-Tech. The real only other Naugahyde would be the Spirit Millineum.
miket liked this
By Cale
I have been buying my naugahyde from sail rite and it has been great. As I do more work I am planning on trying other sources as well.
John liked this
By RIDETOEAT
I got in many vinyl based samples from Sailrite and I favor the All American as well. As to Pleating they sell a Morbern product that is has welded seams pre pleated in the material and it is quite nice. They refer to it as Morbern® Seabrook Vinyl Channeling Fabric. I have not used this but it looks like a nice option to save time sewing the pleating, it comes at a higher price of $35 is rather than $14 is for the non channeled version of the same. I got some to use in a two tome beige and burgandy deal and try it out.
John, miket liked this
By Kra z Bill
RIDETOEAT wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:04 pm I got in many vinyl based samples from Sailrite and I favor the All American as well. As to Pleating they sell a Morbern product that is has welded seams pre pleated in the material and it is quite nice. They refer to it as Morbern® Seabrook Vinyl Channeling Fabric. I have not used this but it looks like a nice option to save time sewing the pleating, it comes at a higher price of $35 is rather than $14 is for the non channeled version of the same. I got some to use in a two tome beige and burgandy deal and try it out.
By all means take pictures and post them please
John, miket liked this
By miket
RIDETOEAT wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:04 pm I got in many vinyl based samples from Sailrite and I favor the All American as well. As to Pleating they sell a Morbern product that is has welded seams pre pleated in the material and it is quite nice. They refer to it as Morbern® Seabrook Vinyl Channeling Fabric. I have not used this but it looks like a nice option to save time sewing the pleating, it comes at a higher price of $35 is rather than $14 is for the non channeled version of the same. I got some to use in a two tome beige and burgandy deal and try it out.
Post up pics of progress.

I've been busy all summer so I haven't done much sewinghut I have my workshop all cleaned out and getting ready to build a table to get rid of my saw horse set up.

I did make a set of pouches for a guy that turned out well.
John liked this
By iralic
Nassimi brand Seaquest is a the marine vinyl we use most. They offer roll and pleat which works great for boat seats.
John liked this
Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

are your relief cuts on the stitch side. not on th[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]

For diamond pattern I just staple the edges about […]