By vicstric
Hey guys. Looking for suggestions and opinions. I did some seats in my early days of upholstery work. Things looked pretty good for someone who didn't know what they were doing. Customer was happy. I was happy. Forward 2 years. I contacted this guy to see how things were holding up. He said all was good... except... I used a red vinyl as an accent color. he said in the first year it started looking bad. It is now two years in. He sent me some pics follow. He really didn't complain but I was quite unhappy. I can go into details of the maker and product line later if anyone needs or wants to know. I have been in contact with the rep. Their answer was it is just dirty and that soap and water should clean it up. Probably due to neglect. Said it may be mildew. Victor wonders why the white still looks good. I asked about cleaners. They mentioned a product from West Marine.

As it turned out, he has bought Starbrite from West Marine and it didnt work (Also tried other marine mildew cleaners with no success). I am not even sure it is mildew. He said the red vinyl feels sticky and abrasive to the touch. I communicated with the rep all this. It seems like they would be glad to replace the vinyl but that isnt the issue in my mind. One, it should have lasted longer. Two, why does the white look and feel good still? Victor was curious. And three, it isn't the price of the vinyl, it is the labor of replacing it.

Anyway, here are some pics. Any advise or suggestions appreciated.

By Adam12
It sure looks like mildew bro. I'm assuming the only difference in the material is the color? Does it get left in the sun a lot? Darker colors get real hot in the summer time and will burn your ass when you sit on them, while the white part is perfectly comfortable. I could see that extra heat causing premature degradation of the plasticizers and uv inhibitors. Don't beat yourself up, you didn't make the material. Cant take care of it for them either.
John liked this
By vicstric
Thanks @Adam12 ! The White is a different brand. I was trying to match existing colors as close as I could. If darker colors are going to be a problem I need to be aware of that. I am going to try and have a look in person in the next few days. Seems like a strange place for Mildew. That usually happens in places where it may set wet for extended periods. Even if you dumped water on the seat and left it, it would dry pretty fast in this location. It is a boat after all.
By vicstric
would taking a steamer to it at this point be a problem @John ? Any opinion? I read on one of the boating forums that you don't want to do that. That info gleened from a 20 year upholstery "expert". I say BS but though i would ask the real experts!
By Adam12
Didn't mean to suggest dark colors are a "problem", just that if neglected in theTexas sun it could maybe break down faster and invite growth. Knowing that the red and white are different brands may be more telling. Either way, you did a nice job from what can be seen
vicstric liked this
By vicstric
Hi @BigRig ! no sew foam... This was done before the sew foam discovery... lol well other than foam under the Channeled white... but not the red.
John liked this
By vicstric
Anyone have trouble for using the old foam? It was in good shape and I wrap it in thin plastic so the cover slide over the foam easier.

Any opinions on steam cleaning it? Will that make matters worse? Hot, humid air ?
By Revv Up
I hate it when this stuff happens... reminds me of when color bled out of an orange thread I topstitched on a motorcycle seat, the vendor said “ we will replace that spool of thread. Great, I can just hand my customer 30’ of thread then?

Anyways I would try steam, the way I see it is it doesn’t look salvageable if you don’t try?
vicstric liked this
By Coaldigger
I worked out of a pool and spa shop for about eight years. That mold looks very similar as to what would happen to a hot tub cover after a few years or sooner if the customer didn’t take care of the water chemistry. I assume the spa covers probably weren’t good quality vinyl but heat moisture and bad chemicals will easily break down the vinyl on a spa cover and even a pool liner. I would ask the customer what kind of cleaner or chemicals they might have used on the vinyl to clean it prior to the mildew stains. If you zoom in you can see it on the white also.

On a side note do they park the boat near trees mainly pine trees uncovered?
vicstric liked this
By John
I have two theories on this. I certainly looks like mold to me.
- The red vinyl might not be marine grade vinyl. Marine grade has anti microbial treatments to it.
- Does this guy cover his boat without allowing it to dry out after getting it wet. I have seen this happen before where the cover doesn't breath enough and then gets really hot and humid inside the boat with the the cover on. It creates the perfect environment for mold.

Ive never used this before but it might work. Iosso® Mold & Mildew Stain Remover https://amzn.to/2LJj580

I have steamed old vinyl before without problems but I dont see that helping remove the mold

That's super frustrating. Sorry....
Wsmart liked this
By vicstric
It was marine grade vinyl. Just not saying who for obvious reasons.

I know he has a cover. not sure on covering wet. seems suspicious.
By GMcDonald
Ozone Generator can help you with this, it basically kills it and it works well. My father had an old mustang and seats in it were moldy. If it were up to me, I would just change the covers and clean it thoroughly, but he wants it all original. I get him, he had the car for so long, he treats it as if it's a part of the family. I had to help him out, I could not watch him struggling to get rid of the mold anymore. Honestly, until the professionals came to clean it we were lost. They told us about these generators and it's a cool piece of equipment that helps with bad smell in the car, which is a bonus.

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: