By Hdgurl
Attempting to restore a 1977 centurion jet boat, came across enough naugahyde material to do interiors of boat, has anyone worked with this on upholstery? Curious about pliability with contours.
By John
Is it brand name Naugahyde? If it is that's good stuff and would work great in boats. If you don't know what brand it is you might want to be careful using it because not all vinyl is marine grade.
Most marine vinyl should be fine for those older boat interiors. Seam will help a lot with the pliability.

@Hdgurl Those are really cool boats!
By BigRig
I am currently working with Naugahyde and although the fabric back is like canvas the vinyl is sewing and stretching extremely well.
John liked this
By Hdgurl
Thank you for tips John, while my cousin is a seasoned car restoration guy, this is his first aquatic venture, and my first upholstery project......
I recently purchased the Sailrite Fabricator after veiwing your video review of the machine. I have learned so much watching your videos on you tube, (and from others as well that post how tos on there), it is a wealth of knowledge although it is difficult to navigate which processes are actually the best way to go with sometimes......
I'll keep visiting your site looking for tips and examples of how to do things, thank you for being such a great demonstrator of your craft!!
bryanmartin, John, hapyrdr liked this
By BigRig
I bought a roll of Naugahyde that was stamped 1977. It was in great shape and had to be almost an 1/8 thick. I has a good life span!
By John
@Hdgurl , Glad it was helpful! I hope you'll post some pictures for all of us once your finished.

@BigRig Wow that's super old! I'm surprised it was still good. That must have been back from when it was still made form hides of the now extinct Nauga :wink:
By BigRig
Oh oh, sounds like Nauga has changed over time.
By Bondo497
Hold up John, Nauga is still shedding his Hyde so he must still be alive. Lol
John liked this
By BigRig
What is a Nauga? I never ever heard of it, is it a reptile?
By Bondo497
Hey there BigRig! No its a mythical character that General came up with (that's the same folks that make tires by the way,) and they used him to say that he sheds his hide and in turn his hide always grows back for the world to have Naugahyde so animals wouldn't have to die. He's one ugly character. Ha ha
By Bondo497
Correction, Uniroyal made him. I had General on my brain for some reason.
By BigRig
That character is what is stamped onto that 1977 Naugahyde vinyl I bought that's really cool, I have Retro Vinyl!
John liked this
By John
Bondo497 wrote:Hey there BigRig! No its a mythical character that General came up with (that's the same folks that make tires by the way,) and they used him to say that he sheds his hide and in turn his hide always grows back for the world to have Naugahyde so animals wouldn't have to die. He's one ugly character. Ha ha
hahaha :joy: I was just making a funny joke. I had no idea this was the story behind Naugahyde! You just taught me something new. Thanks guys!

@BigRig Post a picture of the Naguahyde hide character if you still have some of that vinyl. Ive never seen that before.
By Bondo497
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 10055 times
here he is @John
By Bondo497
@John
Do you play poker? If not you should, you sure bluffed your way into the history of ole Nauga with that joke and didn't even know it!!! Haha. You're alright in my book!
By John
Haha we should have a Nauga animal making contest :grinning:

@Bondo497 Haha thanks! I dont play poker much but I do like playing, not very good though. My game is liar's dice.
By John
BigRig is having trouble loading pictures so he sent this to me. This is his vintage Naugahyde vinyl from 1977. Petty cool. Ive never seen this before.
mms_img1889379671.jpg
mms_img1889379671.jpg (105.97 KiB) Viewed 10040 times
Thanks @BigRig
Wsmart liked this
By vicstric
Just giving this thread a bump. I was wondering how the 1977 centurion jet boat was coming along @Hdgurl!
John liked this
By Hdgurl
Awwww, it's coming!! Seems the guys have to be guys and are continuously changing my mind! The motor is done, the fabric has been in.... I'm just trying to get them to set on one design and commit to seat construction which, at the moment, is now contoured fiberglass front seats and one rear bench..... It seems I get so caught up in debating with them I forget to take pics!! Thanks for asking!

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]