By tycham
I just got a 19 ft runabout that needs upholstery. I am thinking about doing it myself. How much material should I need as far as setting a budget?

The other question is that Sailrite has material but it seems to be in the $25 range. Is this normal or can I get the same quality for less somewhere else?
John, miket liked this
By John
I would budget around $700 +or- in materials for full boat upholstery.

Sailrite is a good store and they have everything you could ever need but they are quite expensive. You should be able to find quality marine vinyl between $12 -$20 pretty easily.

I recommend you check out Albrights supply https://www.AlbrightsSupply.com/?Click=3957 They are my favorite online upholstery store and have free shipping. They will also send you a nice sample pack if you ask.

I also suggest looking you you local upholstery supply stores and seeing what is available locally for you.
By tycham
Thank you. I will check out Allrights. I am a little intimidated about taking on the project but do see the potential of saving a lot of money. I have been watching a bunch videos to get ready
By John
Yeah you can save a lot of money! A full boat upholstery job will typically cost $8000 and up. The Lucky Needle doesn't have any boat specific courses yet... but the information in The Apprentice Course and The Seats Course is applicable to boats. It might be worth it for you.
By Tom Mann
I have been buying marine vinyl from a local place called Joann $10 to $15 a yard just depends on what sale you catch. Sailrite has a lot of videos on marine upholstery and last I checked they also sell the cheaper marine vinyl for about the same as I buy local. Only reason I buy local is they will put in on a roll for me rather than folded and shipped
Kra z Bill, John liked this
By Scott D
Go to Albrights and hit up the 10 yard section. Only way you will know how much material is to grab a measuring tape and have at it. You'll drop over 150 and you get free shipping, better than sailright, shop around and you will see. Don't just look at the price per yard, look at the total when you add in shipping, some places might be a buck or two cheaper per yard and then you get slammed for shipping.
John liked this
By Cody
@Scott D veterans is one of those companies. Reasonable prices and have a lot of odd ball stuff. But when shipping is more than the actual product cost. Yikes
John liked this
By 2ndChance
tycham wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:26 am I just got a 19 ft runabout that needs upholstery. I am thinking about doing it myself. How much material should I need as far as setting a budget?

The other question is that Sailrite has material but it seems to be in the $25 range. Is this normal or can I get the same quality for less somewhere else?
What Machine are you going to use to do the upholstery? I also recommend that you use Foam Backed Marine Vinyl You'll get a much better finished look. But...You will need an Industrial machine to sew with especially if you'll be sewing Piping. Thats 4-6 layers of vinyl and a normal machine just won't do it.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: