• User avatar
  • User avatar
  • User avatar
#9819
Looks awesome! Those inside curved panels can be really difficult. Hopefully some of those wrinkles will come out when you screw it in to the boat and it pulls the frame back in to place making the cover tighter.

As for custom patterns being a different size... The custom patterns if done properly will be the exact perfect size for what you need. When using patterns from the old cover you are going off the work of the last person that made the cover. Its anyone's guess weather or not it was correct.
Depending on how much foam you are backing the vinyl with you may need sew up the cover a bit tighter.
Click Here to Remove Ads
#9875
Update . . .

I got a couple more of the backrests done. Here is the rear corner.
IMG_4113.JPG
IMG_4113.JPG (75.88 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
.
IMG_4114.JPG
IMG_4114.JPG (104.31 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
.
IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4115.JPG (95.45 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
John liked this
#9876
Here is the large rear center backrest section that also serves as a sunpad and a storage hatch.
.
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4120.JPG (60.82 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
.
IMG_4122.JPG
IMG_4122.JPG (98.56 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
.
IMG_4123.JPG
IMG_4123.JPG (74.95 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
John liked this
#9923
Here is the final backrest for the U-shaped seating . . .
IMG_4143.JPG
IMG_4143.JPG (69.59 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
IMG_4145.JPG
IMG_4145.JPG (113.03 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
I keep making mistakes with the patterns though . . . This one has better than the curved settee backrest, but still not 100%. It seems that I am having a tough time making the color/channel/white combination from one side of the middle (white) strip to the other. In checking my dimensions after the fact on this piece, it looks like I made the channel panel on the 'stright' part of the backrest 1/4" bigger than it should have been. (6" instead of 5 3/4") . . . :rolling_eyes: just don't know how I did that since I carefully checked everything and knew that it should be 5 3/4" as that what I was using for all of the other backrests. :tired_face:

Anyway, not sure if there are any tricks to make sure the dimensions are the same . . . maybe just checking the cut pieces against the patterns and intended dimensions (maybe)?
John liked this
#9924
Also, now that the U-shaped seating is pretty much complete, I assembled them as they would be in the boat to get an idea of how it is going to look for real.

Here are a few pics . . .
IMG_4131.JPG
IMG_4131.JPG (80.26 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
IMG_4138.JPG
IMG_4138.JPG (97.55 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG (76.04 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
Next things to do are a small end cap piece for the U-shaped seating and then onto the Helm seat, which is a project in itself.
John liked this
#9925
Very nice work!! I really like the color combo. Those are not easy shapes to cover. Nice pattern work!

I have to chuckle because my car front seat is being upholstered in the living room of my house. My wife is very understanding with my hobbies.

We are all expecting a day out on the water when your finished! :grinning:

Jerry
TedP, John liked this
#10008
very nice work.

I would have to say that the mfr must have been using a 4-way stretch vinyl to do these designs. I would look into using the same or putting seems along all of the hard edges. This will give a much better look in the end.
John liked this
#10009
Sorry, I posted too soon. I did not realize that there were other pages when I commented. Looks like you worked it out and got the look you were looking for. Congrats on a wonderful accomplishment. Looks like a lot of hours went into this. Cheers
John liked this
#10012
Helm Seat . . .

This is the last of it, having saved the tougher one for last.
.
IMG_4150-880.jpg
IMG_4150-880.jpg (54.04 KiB) Viewed 9068 times
.
The seat is actually 5 pieces. (bottom white/green, middle white/purple/pink, top white) plus the 2 seat bases
here is one of the seat bases all done.
.
IMG_4179.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG (98.11 KiB) Viewed 9068 times
.
IMG_4182.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG (77.78 KiB) Viewed 9068 times
John, miket liked this
#10042
Helm seat backrest . . . Just loosely attached at this point, not stapled yet.
.
IMG_4195A.JPG
IMG_4195A.JPG (41.55 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
.
This skin was a real challenge to make, probably the hardest one so far. There is a top and bottom panel that stitches to a large 'wrap-around' panel with all the various shapes and colors that you see. The challenge is that the perimeters of the top and bottom panels have to be the same length as the wrap-around panel where they get stitched.

Somehow, I managed to get these distances the same . . . would have been a big problem if they did not match up. The top piece (white) that you see was the more critical of the two, since it is a single piece. The bottom (which you cannot see) is two pieces, so the fit/alignment can be adjusted during stitching.
Click Here to Remove Ads & Support the Forum!
Foam Saw

Has anyone used the foam saw that Sailrite sells c[…]

I think it would look good with some french seams.

Never seen that problem before. Something is proba[…]

Phone Company

@jeancarroll13 Welcome to the forum! I cant sta[…]