By Kiwizilla
I’m pretty green when it comes to upholstery, I am struggling to stretch the boxing correctly for a stool seat and it keeps wrinkling. Should I remove the boxing and take it in about 1/2” or add Dacron in the curved spots that is wrinkling. Or is there another solution all together. The foam measures about 1.5” larger than the stool pan and the fabric is the same size as the foam. Thanks for your help!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5000 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 5000 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 5000 times
By BigRig
Hi, don't worry been at it for a bit an consider myself a beginner too. It looks like you may need to make a couple of changes to the pattern. I do not think that those wrinkles will stretch out and that vinyl looks thick.
Kiwizilla liked this
By Adam12
At a glance i'd say your boxing piece looks too long. So is your foam 1.5" larger all the way around? Seems like a lot to me. I'd tend to do about 1/2" larger foam and make the pattern to the size of the seat base with 3/8 seam allowance, boxing length =outside diameter of base. You could maybe cut a new piece of wood 1" bigger all around if the project allows it, see if the wrinkles go away. Gonna look wonderful when you get the fit dialed in.
By Kiwizilla
Thanks for responding and pointing me in the right direction! It’s 3/4” wider on either side so 1-1/2”wider total. It’s a reupholster. And the only vinyl wasn’t wrinkled. I was surprised the wood was so much smaller than the foam. From my understanding, 1/2” wider foam than wood is rule of thumb. Cutting a new base is an easy solution. Thanks again!
By Cody
Great work. One thing you can do to eliminate the wrinkles entirely, it’s to make a pattern of your seat bottom. Cut the center out. So it’s about an inch ring plus your seam allowance. Sew it like you did the top.
John liked this

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: