By sandmanred
I am planning a new project motorcycle seat cover with leather instead of vinyl. I've been bonding the vinyl to sew foam and then assembling. Would you also bond leather to sew foam? It's about 50% thicker than the vinyl I've been using but it's much more stretchy so I think the leather would hold it's shape better if it's bonded to the sew foam but I'd like to hear from the experts. Thanks!
By John
The only time I recommend bonding any material to sew foam is on concave curves. Every thing else I just use a light mist of Temp tac (cheep spray can glue) and then stitch around the perimeter then trim the excess foam.
By John
Its better to have the material able to move freely from the foam when stretching a cover on . Permanently gluing the foam and material can result in more wrinkles because the foam will try to hold the material straight so basically the 2 are fighting each other.

Hope that makes sense!
By sandmanred
So I did this seat again before the latest advice came in. As it's kind of concave I glued the sew foam to everything that shows in the picture. If anything I glued it heavier than on the first attempt. I think the areas that got worse with heat on the first try were areas where the glue was absent or light so I glued the crap out of this one.

John Long, Mikesimpson liked this
By John
That looks bad ass now! nice job. Trimming concave things is always a challenge.

Sorry for the late response. I have been super busy traveling for work and haven't had much time.
By sandmanred
Revv Up wrote:Looks awesome, nice work!
John wrote:That looks bad ass now! nice job. Trimming concave things is always a challenge.

Sorry for the late response. I have been super busy traveling for work and haven't had much time.
Thanks!

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: