By Ciara
Hello!
I received a request for a diamond pattern on perforated leather, however this is the first time doing this and I cannot seem to get it right. The needle keeps wanting to find the hole, throwing the straight path off. We have even tried stitching vinyl and canvas to the back to try and keep it on a straight path, but that didnt work.

I was hoping someone might have some tips or tricks to help.
Also the thread requested is a contrasting color, which makes the jagged line even more noticeable.
Attachments
Snapchat-1051848008.jpg
Snapchat-1051848008.jpg (580.09 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
By sandmanred
Hmmm. I have no experience with this but it wont stop me from trying to help. What kinds of sewing machines do you have available? I'm imagining a drop feed might be more prone to this than a walking foot or needle feed where the fabric is pinched all around the needle before it pierces the fabric?
John liked this
By Revv Up
Same as Sandmanred, no experience with this but I would think a compound feed machine and the smallest sharp needle you can use for that thread may help.

Another thing you could try is printer paper or mashing tape over the perforations and rip it off on the dotted line when done, may be fiddeldy getting it all out from behind the stitches but it should help “fool” the needle.
By Coaldigger
Just an opinion, diamonds on perforated leather won’t look right if you follow the 3/2 sizing. Perforation are basically set as small squares. If your client is ok with it try to sew following the perforation but center your lines in between the holes. The thread will accent the perforation and look uniform instead of the thread crossing the rows. Do a small sample for them and see which one they like better.
John liked this
By John
Great suggestion @Coaldigger !

I also have never been asked to do this but can see why that would be a problem. One thing you can try is using a needle with an SD point. These are meant for leather and have a sharpened point to cut through material. The typical universal needles have a more rounded point and could possibly be why it follows the holes.

I use the Landau glue almost for everything. I h[…]

Hello! My name is Jared, I'm new here, I'm from Te[…]

stapler

Hello! I have Rainco, I'm satisfied, I can get to […]

headliner retainer strips

I have a 1959 Plymouth - the headliner consists of[…]