Hi all!
I'm super excited to finally have these bad boys in my hand! ALmost as excited as I was to get my Pfaff!
My question is for those with WISS 10" Shears or similar, do you all oil the blades on occasion to help them stay sharp? The thought ocurred to me as I opened the package and saw that the blades have a small amount of oil already on them. I realize that it would be inconvenient to get this oil on the materials that you are cutting, so my logic would tell me that maybe they should be wiped down before cutting certain fabrics, but if you're primarily cutting vinyl (especially for practicing at this moment in my blossoming career) then I wouldn't see it as a problem...

Please let me know what you guys do and how often you get them sharpened.
John liked this
I use a pair of Wiss 10” shears but I have never kept the oiled. It may be a good idea, I just never have. I do clean them often with solvent to keep the glue from building up on them and am careful about what I cut with them. For example, I will not cut used carpet with them. Sand and grit will really dull them quickly.

John
Michelle_Trillium, John liked this
I treat all my scissors and shears this way:

Occasionally I will put a drop of oil on the pivot.

Before use, I wipe them down with a clean, dry rag to remove any oil residue.

I make sure they are clean before putting them up, cleaning with solvent as required.

Before putting them up I wipe them down with an oily rag that I keep around just for this purpose. I live in an area with salt air and rust is always a concern.

Sounds kind of anal, but I have Kai, Gingher, Wiss, and CrapFiskars scissors and shears, straight and pinking. Once I put up a set I may not use them again for some time. About the only pair that I use on a daily basis is the Kai.

Even though they ain't pretty, the W22 is my favorite.
Michelle_Trillium, John liked this
I hav e 2 sets of Wiss shears, every now and again I add a couple drops of mineral oil on them and wipe it in, the mineral hasn’t stained any of the fabrics I use (yet). There’s sewing machine mechanic that sharpens shears who comes to town a few times a year, I alternate mine and they generally get 1 sharpening per year.
Michelle_Trillium liked this
That's a great set of shears! I have been using mine for 10 years now. The oil is just on there from the factory to prevent rust. Wipe that off before cutting fabric.
The only time I oil them is when Im cutting things I just glued. For example, scrim foam to fabric. I will spray the blades with silicone spray to help stop the glue from sticking.

I recommend getting them sharpened when you start to have trouble pushing the shears through fabric.

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]