I bought a few yards of cheap "Monticello" vinyl to practice with, maybe use on my son's old Geo... that sort of thing.

The look of it is not bad. Not as good looking as the more expensive stuff, of course. But for $7 a yard, I think it looks surprisingly good. The Abrasion (100,000 Cycles) and Cold Crack (-10* F) specs seem good. My question is about the UV Specs. "UV Resistance: 100 Hours Class 5 ASTM D43229-13"

So my questions are 1) how important is the UV rating on a low end, not open air project, and 2) how good/bad is this that 100 hrs value?

I saw some marine grade that was something like 1000 hrs, but I also saw this post where John suggested it may not be as critical for non- marine, non-convertible projects. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&p=1910&hilit=UV+Resistance

So I am thinking, maybe it would be fine for cheap projects. The seller said they sell a lot of it to trimmers, and it gets used a lot for such applications. But since they sell it, I kinda wanted to get the groups thoughts.

What do ya think? If i put it on my suburban will it fade peel crack and melt before my eyes! or should it be acceptable for projects like that?

Anyhow, thanks for any feedback!
Cervantes

Specs:
  • Meets MVSS 302 Flammability Standard
  • Hardness: 85 PHR
  • Abrasion: 100,000 Cycles (BS EN 14465)
  • UV Resistance: 100 Hours Class 5 ASTM D43229-13
  • Cold Crack : -10 Degrees Fahrenheit
I just bought Allante for less than 20 bucks a yard. I think it was $17 but am afraid to swear to it. When you consider 5-6 yards will do a complete interior, it just does not make sense to me to use an inferior product. Your time and hard work deserve lasting success that will command positive comments. You don't want to have to defend your job after a few years because you saved $60-$70 bucks on material.

I certainly understand using it for practice. I would even encourage it. I just hate to see guys working hard to do something they are proud of while using poor quality foam or material.

John Long
Great points, John. Even a "quick and dirty job".... I would rather it last longer. One thing on these is, they are not customer jobs - which would be a concern. When doing it professionally, "time is money." I guess it always is, but to a different level.

I would be interested if others have any additional thoughts on the UV thing. Even if I don't use it on any actual projects, I still would like to understand the different specs better!

I have several Alfa Spiders I want to re-do, so I plan on making a good template to make it easier to make a bunch of them. To TEST the patterns I will try doing one with the cheap stuff, but don't plan on actually using that one - being a convertible, it will see a LOT of sunshine / UV. So just for practice and a test.

anyhow, have a great day! Thanks so much

Cervantes
John Long, John liked this
Today most vinyls sold are rated for at least automotive use. I have been surprised how well cheep vinyl holds up. 100 uv hours is ok but far from the best. It may fade a little faster than other higher quality fabrics but it wont be a drastic noticeable difference. That being said I fully support Johns advice on using the best material you can because the money is in the labor not the materials. You never want to risk redoing a job for free because you or the customer chose cheep fabric.
Cervantes liked this
I bought "RV" quality fabric to redo my car four years ago. It's now splitting on the side facing the drivers window and the seat has excessive wear. I do not drive daily so this has been unacceptable. I like the pattern, but the quality of the fabric is not good enough for automotive use, even behind UV resistant glass, it has not held up well.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: