By Wsmart
Hello All!
I'm new here. Just did the Apprentice course. Fab course!
I'm a self-taught sewing person since high school but still have horrible techniques. I have a 40 yr old Kenmore (all steel not plastic) and an LSZ-1 Sailrite with servo motor. I had wanted a consew but it was not in budget at the time. I don't forsee this being a business, we have several boats. I have been making cushions etc for our sailboat and hub wants me to re-do vinyl in our Yamaha power boat. Me, not so much. Seems SO complex!

That all said, I am getting conflicting answers from other friends who I know about using Ultraleather. Do I use seam allowance since it does have a 3-4 way stretch or do I use standard 3/8 or 1/2 inch? I'm terrified to begin a salon cushion project ($65/yard!!) the other parts of the cabins are going to be Morbern vinyl (which I used for cockpit earlier this yr). Thanks in advance! :)
Willow
John liked this
By Wsmart
Oh intersting. I'm on a number of sailboat/power boat sewing forums and many people use them on boats-it's highly mold/mildew resistant, easy to keep clean and pet friendly. I'm only using it in the salon settees bc it's too $$$ for the rest of the boat
By John Long
If it is ok for me to add my 2 cents. I used Ultraleather in my personal '36 Ford roadster. I loved the way it felt and I loved the way it sewed. With that said, it has worn terribly. I would not pay $15 a yard for any more of it. I can't afford, nor do I have the time to do a job that no longer looks good after a couple of years.

John Long
By Wsmart
This conversation is interesting as there are a number of liveaboards that use this fabric and it's lasted very well in the caribbean (heat) with kids and dogs....can you tell me this other fabric you mentioned that's as soft? Also have you ever used Ever Soft vinyl? I hadn't seen this one until now. Thanks
By BigRig
@wsmart, they may have lasted long with cracks and peels in it. The backing wont allow it to pull apart. I see it all the time in seating. If they are using it with success then it is a great material to use for the climate and application. How many years are we talking here for the material life?

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: