By mrstee
Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I'm having a go at reupholstering some van seats for my Husband (never done it before). I'm sewing diamonds into the back and seat panel, which I'm lock stitching at the end of each run in the seam allowance. I then sew the panel into the sides which gives me a large lumpy seam that I want to trim back as close to the stitch line as possible. By cutting this back, I'm cutting through the lock stitches on the diamonds. Will this cause any problems with the stitches unravelling in the future? Only practicing at the moment on some waste material but it does effect other seams as well were I've sewn a french seam and then cut the lock stitch off.
John liked this
By John
Hi @mrstee Welcome to the forum!

I personally do this all the time and have never had a problem with the top stitches unraveling. Once that seam is sewn over the diamonds it should be enough to stop it from unraveling.
Michelle_Trillium liked this
By Mikesimpson
I have had to do this on some decorative top stitching on some projects as well, I haven't had any issues with the thread coming out down the road. I think when you sew the insert piece to the other piece of material the hidden stitch sort of replaces the lock stitch so long as you have a relatively short stitch length set up. I have cut a small groove in my seat foam before to put my seam allowance in so I wouldn't have to but off those lock stitches. You could also put some landau glue on the back side of the stitch to lock it in place somewhat also. But I haven't been doing this for all that long, so I may be doing it all wrong haha. I'm interested to hear others opinion on this also because this same situation has concerned me in the past.
John liked this
By mrstee
Thank you for your replies. I'm across the pond, in the UK, so will try a contact glue instead of landau glue, as a back up solution. Have been reading the forum for weeks now and watching your videos for inspiration and help. I might be back for some more advice in the near future.
John liked this

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: