By Roothawg
I know that not all foams are created equally, but is there an industry standard?
  • What's it called or what is the technical term.
    Open cell or closed cell?
    Does anyone ever use the memory foam type?
    What is used in the high end cars or high end upholstery jobs?
Thanks
There is an industry standard when you are looking at slab foam. Its usually being in a 4 or 5 digit format, kind of just depends where you are buying from. The first two numbers will be the density of the foam, the amount of actual foam vs air in the piece. The higher the number the better quality and better wear rating the foam will have. The last two numbers with be the ILD, or the amount of pressure it will take to compress it and this is measured in pounds. So the bigger the last number is the stiffer the foam will be. But with that being said, I normally order a 22050 foam slab for my lower seat cushions. At one point I ordered a 27050 thinking it would feel the same but be a better quality of foam. In reality it compressed much easier and felt more like the 22035 I use on backrests. So sometimes it just takes a little trial and error to find what you think is comfortable. I talked the the foam manufacture about this and they told me that's just the characteristics of the foam haha, didn't really answer my question but what can you do. I've tried memory foam a couple of times and never been really happy with the result as it seems to compress and go flat to easily for a seating surface.
Adam12, John liked this

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: