By BigRig
@John Long , he has some nice notches but that starting point notch with the other one slightly larger are not close to being aligned.
By Coaldigger
A few questions.
What type of machine are you sewing with?

If industrial, what type of motor ( clutch or servo )?

Is your foot pressure set properly?
John liked this
Hi the alignment marks are following the instructions on the apprentice tutorial ive made up a cardboard template 6 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 curved at the top on the template ive got another curved line 1/2 back i measure round that line that gave me the length of the rectangle piece i then folded both pieces in half and snipped the centre on both pieces as far as i can see im following the tutorial video but maybe im missing something or making a mistake somewhere ive managed to do it following earlier advise and stapled the pieces at the marks and at the ends then stitched it up and it came out a lot better so im reasonably confident the sizes are ok thanks for all your help its really appreciated
Im using a juki du 1181n fitted with a servo motor i did have a problem when i first got it with the foot pressure being too high and anything i stitched puckered up on me but ive reduced the foot pressure and it seems ok now i can stitch straight pieces and keep them lined up ok do i have to change foot pressure for curves ?
By John Long
If I am following you correctly and you are taking a 6 1/2 inch template and adding a curve to it, the curve will be longer than 6 1/2”. There is no way it will match up to your rectangular piece.
By Adam12
Don't the relief cuts go on the curved piece rather than the straight one? Could be thinking wrong (it's early), and i'm not sure that solves it but might be fighting against you.
By vicstric
Be sure to double check your curved template. You should have a stitch line at a 6" radius. The cut line should be 6 1/2". How long is your straight piece? The video says about 9 1/4" long. Are you marking the stitch lines on both pieces? IF your length is right on the straight piece and the stitch is hitting the stich line on both pieces, you should come out right. Curves are tricky..... just sayin'.

Also, you can't always do it when sewing up a project but for practice, it seems easier for me to put the straight piece on bottom and work the top (curved piece) to the edge of the stright piece as you are sewing. When you do this the outside edge of the curved piece will try and bunch up on the outside radius. For the sake of practice, cut a series of V notches similar to your alignment marks on the outside edge of the curved piece around the whole seam allowance. Cut them to about 1/8" from your stitch line. See if that helps.
John liked this
By John
Great advice for everyone here! If you followed the measurements I gave in the video then I dont think templates are your problem.
In your picture it looks like the top curved piece is getting bunched up. Effectively making it shorter. There is a few things that can cause this.
- pushing in on the top curved piece while sewing.
- Pulling to hard on the bottom straight piece to much
- Also it could be a combination of both.
- The foot pressure could be too loose causing the material to feed unevenly.

I would try pulling a little on the top curved piece and maybe sightly pushing on the bottom piece while sewing and see if that helps.

Keep up the great work! We will get this straightened out for you!
By BigRig
This makes me wonder if you purchased your machine from a online source? I wonder if it is necessary to have the machine sewed off before purchase these days?
By CnC
My issues were nothing more than operator error. 6 1/2" arc and sewing on the 6" arc (1/2" seam allowance) with the attaching piece at 9 1/4" with relief cuts. A few staples later and it looked pretty good. Just waiting on some extra feet to show up to try my hand at piping.
John liked this
Yeah my sizes are the same as in the tutorial rectangle piece at 9 1/4 and im sewing with the rectangle piece on the bottom i can get it pretty close using staples so its looking like its something im doing wrong as john said could be pushing on the top piece or the foot pressure ill experiment a bit more and just keep practising thanks for all the advice folks much appreciated
CnC, John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: