Just curious what size thread others use on contrast stitching? Also on larger size threads like tex210 size, what size thread do you use in the bobbin? For the larger thread what is the smallest needle do you use? I feel like I have to keep adjusting the hook on my juki 1541S going up and down in size of the needle. Is there a good happy point to stay with then having 3 or 4 needle sizes to use? I have. 180/24, 125/20 140/22, and 110/18 . I have 92 , 135 and 210 thread size.
Cody wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:48 am I use a 22 with 210. It’s in the smaller size for it. I think close to a 25 is recommended. I thought it looked like to larger of hole. I mostly use a 92 in the bobbin and have gotten away with a 69 if need be.
Thanks, I just tried 22 needle and worked great with the 210 thread. The 20 needle gave me a lot of problems. 210 will be the biggest thread I would go anyways. I will stick to 92 in the bobbin. Also do you match the bobbin color always to the top stitch when doing contrast? I just use black, but I’m still practicing.
BigRig wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:06 pm @Trimmerman79 ,

I am always intrested in the product choice. It almost looks like Amann thread you are using. I have recently been told by a sewing machine store to use TX138 Nylon for everything.
Yes I use the Amann Serafil thread only right now. I use 90 , 135 and 210. They are polyester based. I went with this brand since most cars I work on are European vehicles which is the thread they use for oem applications. This thread wouldn’t be good if you do outdoors or boat. Their other line Amann Serbond would be use for the outdoor and boat applications. Which will hold up for years without problems to weather/UV. That thread is only available in 90 and 135 only.
Here is where I get my thread and some supplies from. https://relicate.com/products/serafil-thread-210
I also use the same color or a close match to the top stitch color when I see. If the tension isn’t just right and the bottom color shows through it’ll look odd. Using black bobbin thread with black material won’t look as bad as it would blend in with the material. But on a lighter material I’ll stand out bad.
Trimmerman79 liked this
@Trimmerman79 Stick with 92 prewound in the bobbin. This always works for me in my Juki 562 with any size needle and top thread. Cant say for sure on the 1542s though... Amman is supposed to be the best around these days. Im gonna switch to that once I run out of all the coats I have stocked up on.

@BigRig I wouldnt recoment using nylon on anything that will be out doors. Cars or boats. It just doesn't have the UV resistance that bonded poly does...
Trimmerman79 liked this
John wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 am @Trimmerman79 Stick with 92 prewound in the bobbin. This always works for me in my Juki 562 with any size needle and top thread. Cant say for sure on the 1542s though... Amman is supposed to be the best around these days. Im gonna switch to that once I run out of all the coats I have stocked up on.

@BigRig I wouldnt recoment using nylon on anything that will be out doors. Cars or boats. It just doesn't have the UV resistance that bonded poly does...
Yeah I only use size 92 in the bobbin case. Im using a 22 needle at the moment with no problem with contrast stitching. Maybe I will go back to 18 when I’m sewing everything up with 92. I haven’t tested it yet. Not sure if the 22 needle will put a big hole in the material when using 92 thread. Since I don’t do much sewing at the moment, should I just do my own bobbins on my machine?
Well its up to you. If you plan on sewing for the foreseeable future I would suggest getting prewound bobbins in white, black and beaver. They save you such a huge amount of time its well worth it. I'm lazy and get prewound any time they are available :grin:

22 needle will put a bigger hole in. I usually try to use the smaller needle when I can.
Trimmerman79 liked this
John wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:27 am Well its up to you. If you plan on sewing for the foreseeable future I would suggest getting prewound bobbins in white, black and beaver. They save you such a huge amount of time its well worth it. I'm lazy and get prewound any time they are available :grin:

22 needle will put a bigger hole in. I usually try to use the smaller needle when I can.
Oh okay, I just do it now since I’m still practicing and have a lot of thread on hand. The company Relicate where I get my thread from now offers prewound bobbins. https://relicate.com/products/relicate- ... c47bf0ac73

Yeah I figure I would go down in needle size when doing smaller thread like 92 thread.
John liked this

When you sew the corners ease the vinyl in as much[…]

Boat project

So this winter I decided to redue my boat interior[…]

Top stitch question

I use a shorter stitch (6mm) when joining panels a[…]

Good information. I'm going to check this foam pl[…]