By Nate L
Hi all,

I'm new here. The courses provided by the Lucky Needle seem to be geared towards automotive upholstery. I'm wondering what everyone would recommend for learning to do upholstery work like the images you see below. Are the techniques the same? Are there things that I would need to learn that learning automotive upholstery doesn't cover? All images from https://www.morningworks.com/morningworks-products

ImageImageImageImage
By Kuph
Hi Nate,

- The courses through TLN are excellent regardless of what type of upholstery you are looking to to do. Seams, patterning, templating, etc.... are a prerequisite to every sector of this industry regardless of the application. Key upholstery skills are thoroughly covered in Johns courses and while he uses the example of the automotive interior, 99% of the material can be applied to home, marine and aviation upholstery as well.

- YouTube, forums, internet contains wealth of information. ask questions.

- don’t be afraid to dive in and go for it. Taking lots of pictures and mental notes during disassembly. Focus on duplication of the original upholstery and expand in originality from there as you build skills. Do yourself a favor and get the correct tools for the job.

Good luck.
John liked this
By John
That is some excellent advice @Kuph! Thanks for the great recommendation for TNL courses.

One other resource I would like to ad is Kim's Upholstery on youtube is a great resource specific to furniture.
kl4bidn, Kuph liked this

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: