Post pictures of your finished work and current projects.
Hey guys I’m sharing a build I did a few months ago on a 2017 Tesla Model S. Everything technology wise is this vehicle is pretty nice , except the lack of quality audio performance. Customer wanted a very nice sound quality sound system upgrade. In these types of newer vehicle that have everything integrated into the multimedia system, you can’t remove the stereo like in the old days to get better sound. The t components need to stay to keep everything in loop working properly. The best way to achieve better sound is adding a digital sound processor (dsp). This allows you to tune each speaker individually to the vehicles cabin environment. Also most factory amplified systems these days are heavily equalized that we have to detune the system to get a good flat signal to start with. Which requires calibrated microphone, rta software, laptop ect. So a lot of planning and time goes into setup everything properly before getting to the building stage.

The build design I went will was Totally stealth build with high-end Audio Frog GB Series 3-way front stage Speaker components. Filling and blending the bottom end is a single Audio Frog GB10 10” Subwoofer in a custom sealed enclosure. Handling the power and processing is a Helix PSIX DSP / 6 Channel Amplifier 120w x 6 with hi resolution streaming via HD audio card. Powering the subwoofer is audiotec-fisher Match mono block 500 watt rms Amplifier. Take control of the audio system from the driver seat with multiple seating positions tunes using the helix Director touch screen remote. Allowing making sound adjustments on the fly. The Director controller allows multiple sources via the touch screen controller as well.

Every full system build I do, I sound Deadening all the trouble area and all doors, trunk, hatch areas. Goal is to keep all the noise out and sound inside the cabin. Eliminate any and all vibrations the system will produce with increased power.

Here are some pictures of the build
Next I built a holder out of pvc to hold the dsp controller. The pieces are cut out on the router table and bonded together. Then covered in body filter and sanded. Then was primed and painted using SEMS black paint. If I had my sewing machine months ago, I would have wrapped and sewn in Alcantara to match the interior. The controller allows you to have up to 20 present tunes available. So Tune preset 1 can be driver seat, preset 2 can be passenger seat which will allow the best sound from that seat of the vehicle. It like the singer or band is playing on the center stage of the dash. Making everything time aligned properly for that listening location. The controller also has a volume knob, Subwoofer control, voltage display and digital input control for other digital sources. Must have piece to have when running a dsp in the vehicle, makes things a lot easier to control.
Next the dash speakers and A pillar tweeter speakers were installed. All wires are ran and labeled like how oem would. Goal is always make everything look as it could come from the factory. Also making any modifications reversible in a day or two of the customers decides to sell down the road.

John wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:12 pm Dude that DSP holder is bad ass! I love how you used plastic instead of MDF. Is it hallow?

Haha well @Trimmerman79 Your now the forums designated stereo expert. :wink:
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks John! The holder was made using 1/2” pvc. I used a method called stack fab. So I keep routering out the same shape, I think I did six of them. Then bonded together using CA glue. So it’s completely solid. I channeled a hole through to run the controller wire and usb through. When I can I like to use pvc, but it is 4 time the cost of 1/2” mdf 4’x8’ sheet. Which is only $25 a sheet. Pvc sheets in 1/2” is like $110.00 a sheet. When I use mdf, I try to body filler and polyester primer. Help seal it up somewhat.
John liked this
Moving on to the front trunk area, this is where the accessory battery is located between the electric motors that power the front wheels. We use this battery to power the entire system. We ran a 100% copper 4ga power fused wire to power the system. Some people think you will lose driving range with adding a audiosystem. The batteries the power the vehicle are built into the floor of the car. These cars get at constant 14.3v even when off. Great for audio lovers, give you great voltage while listening to the system.
Moving to the rear trunk area, where all the equipment will be mounted. First I measured out the trunk area for the subwoofer enclosure insuring I have enough air space for the sub to perform well. Also making sure everything fit with the beauty panels coving the equipment. Key also is to retain much space as possible and retain function of the cargo area. Designing they system also making it serviceable.
Test fit in the trunk floor. The trunk floor is not completely flat so I had to build the enclosure with an 19 degree angle to make sure everything lines up when building the top layers. I also added handles do the entire system can be removed from the floor. The handle also help support the above panels to keep everything level.
Now time for making the beauty trim panels. These panels was wrapped in vinyl. Also there will be a custom pressed grill to protect the subwoofer when they don’t have the oem trunk cover over the area. Will also help keep everything cool.
Finally the grill and LEDs attached to the panels. The oem trunk cover fit perfect. All beauty panels are installed fit perfect. Car sounded really good after many hours of tuning and adjustments. Now the car is a has a true audiophile system to go with the car’s six figure price tag.

Coaldigger liked this
Damnnnnn! :open_mouth: That came out awesome! I love how its completely hidden if you want to hide it. Thanks for sharing the process. I bet your customer was super happy.
How long did it take to do this one?
OMG!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: This Tesla owner has an exquisite taste, both to choose the car and the audio fabricator/installer!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

It had to take LOTS of hours and effort, but the final result is AWESOME... fully integrated and reversible, how I like to do everything that I can. Congratulations!!!! :relaxed: :relaxed:

Note to John: I love the smilies that we can choose from, and I only miss the emoji that shows two clapping hands... I would use it all the time with so talented forum users! :grinning:

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]