Post pictures of your finished work and current projects.
By hapyrdr
I had my 2001 Dodge diesel {54,000 miles) out this morning and it looks like a hand stitched steering wheel . It has 4 spokes and looks like 4 seams in the covering . Could this really be stitched ? If it was somebody was sure busy back then :grinning:
By BigRig
So a little confused from a steering wheel cover perspective. I just want to do a very basic cover in vinyl for a transport. From what I understand I cut my material about 03" shorter than the actual diameter of the wheel. I sit at my machine stitch it up and now stretch the son of a gun over my wheel to hand stitch. WONT my stitches rip my viny I sewed? That is a lot of stretch in that fabric.
By jdenison89
@bigrig
youll have to play with the stretch. I havent done any wheels in vinyl. Make sure your seams are stitched with a small stitch length 3 or 4mm or just about as tight as your machine can go
Last edited by jdenison89 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
By hapyrdr

BigRig watch this video about doing a steering wheel with leather . He has several others that may help NOT sure about the similarity of vinyl and leather but I plan on doing a vinyl steering wheel as I have no choice to make it match the vinyl interior
John, Michelle_Trillium liked this
By BigRig
@hapyrdr
I am doing the vinyl because if I pull one off and the price point is good maybe my guys will want one in their rigs. I am just planning a wrap and no spoke cut outs everybody wants a leather wrapped wheel but I am never going to get these guys to pay for it.
By BigRig
@hapyrdr ,

I am not ready for that kind of project in his video. I wrapped a wheel in vinyl before and was stitching it so nicely with 92 thread and it snapped ruining my project. I am going to do the same again and hope for a better outcome with my Coats 135 I got to retry with.
By Cody
@jdenison89 have you ever sculpted a steering wheel? I’ve seen people do it mainly Europeans. Some have molds and use a 2 part foam and basically make a new foam section and I’ve seen one that uses modeling clay. He sculpt that then wraps in fiberglass to harden is. Then wraps that with material. Wondering if you’ve done it any?
By Bondo497
@BigRig
Seeing how you're good at glueing things together that you weren't trying to glue and now stapling your hand we better meet at your house because it sounds like you might be stuck down permanently in that location before too long! :smile:
John liked this
By BigRig
@bondo497,

You will love spraying glue it is a load of fun. I have a super glue and it is STICKs but lesson learned. I would love to meet at my house and actually could use you here starting on a Cabover Pete. The guy wants this cool orange Spradling vinyl for a steering wheel cover made.
By Bondo497
@BigRig
That sounds cool, the large diameter of the wheel may make it easier to do than a smaller car wheel! Thanks for the invite just wish we didn't live on total opposite ends of the continent. Lol
By Bondo497
@BigRig
I didn't post anymore pics of my project because I didn't want to bore with filler and beaten and bangin but it is now in the primer stage. My son's girlfriend got a doe yesterday evening , he's all about some sausage and since he was working he got her to go get the groceries so to speak. Lol.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: