General discussions about our craft and industry.
By IvanD
I know what leather is (comes in hides)
I know what vinyl is. Comes in yards. It's got fabric-looking backing. It does look like vinyl.

On Russian youtube/internet seems like all car upholsterers use material they call "eco-leather". It is NOT leather. And it's coming in yards. But it's pretty thick, just like leather. It feels in hand like leather. Back side look more like leather or suede, definitely not like fabric.

What is USA brand that would be like this?
By IvanD
Googled a little. All I can find is that material has top layer of polyurethane which makes it soft and even breathable (better than real leather)
Bottom is cotton or polyester
By Mikesimpson
Enduratex is making a product now the call "Sonoma". Its recycled leather that they form into material they sell on a roll just like vinyl. From the samples of it that I got it seems like really nice stuff. But I think it was around $70 per yard, so for the money you might as well just use real leather in my opinion. Here is a link to it on Albrights site, https://www.albrightssupply.com/sonoma- ... son003.htm
John liked this
By IvanD
Enduratex sound too expensive - yes, might as well get leather
I inquired Albright and they said they do carry polyurethane but it's not for automotive
They also said their Allante line is the best they carry but it's vinyl. I ordered samples, wonder what it feels like

Anybody knows rough number how many yards needed to finish full truck interior? (2 rows)
By John Long
While, I did not buy it from Albright's I am using Allante in my '53. I really like the feel and look of it. I believe I paid around $17/yd for it.

John

IvanD, John liked this
By BigRig
@IvanD , I am curious how your machine refurbishing went. I actually blend some serious leather looking vinyl with a unconventional backing into leather for some jobs and you cannot tell at all. I do know that it holds up really well (been tested) and sews great. You may also see bonded leather in a 80/20 ratio of ground leather and vinyl. Mumbai is kicking out this material I am using.
By IvanD
BigRig wrote:@IvanD , I am curious how your machine refurbishing went.
What machine are you talking about specifically? :) I'm loosing count of things I'm restoring :)
By IvanD
Oh, that one is gone! I sold it once i found "Time Capsule". Guy on craigslist sold "Broken" machine from his grandma. It was Consew 206 RB1 with all original paint, like new. Had broken needle. Now this is my machine. $300 :)
By IvanD
@BigRig Do you know name of this "Mumbai" material?

Speaking of my setup, this is current "project" - restoring Skiver, been long time and still working on it. Consew on fully refinished table with new top and servo motor - I love this old machine.
By BigRig
@IvanD , that skiver is awesome. What a find that consew is like brand new! What do you love about it? I will try and find the manufacture of the material I just know it is made in Mumbai
By IvanD
BigRig wrote:@IvanD , that skiver is awesome. What a find that consew is like brand new! What do you love about it?
This machine is one of the most popular out there. I had PFAF 1245 and then when I got this one I was moving from one to another and decided that I will post them both for sale so market decides :) PFAFF got sold. This one takes all of the standard plentiful accessories, needles, feet, etc. It's very quality made (new 206RBs made in China). It's old school lube with lube ports. I'm not using it every day so manual lube preferred.

I paid $90 for PFAFF guide feet (just one set). I bought set of all kind of feet for this Consew + bobbins + needles for less than $50. I had hard time finding info on PFAFF use/adjustments/etc. It's out there, but not even close in amounts of info and help available for Singer 111-like machines.

And overall, I never had new machine, and this one does feel like just broken in brand new machine. Sound, ease of operation, etc. It does all I want and I like form-factor. Its got big bobbin too (contrary to Seiko). So, I don't know, just in general I like everything about it. I don't like "NEW" stuff for my hobbies. I like older tools, machinery, etc. And this one one of those.

Also, they still make them today so even if I ever need something - there is parts.
By IvanD
Reviving this topic. I was talking about material which Relicate just emailed about recently. They carry it now in black, I ordered sample, curious to see what it is.

Again, I am just hobbyist but like to know about stuff. Personally (and not sure why) - I LOVE working with leather. I did whole interior and I just like it. I did bunch of testing with vinyl. Allante, other kinds and I just can't work with it for some reason. I get much better looking stuff when do leather.

$47 per yard is expensive of course.. But hey, if it's just like leather - maybe it's a good one.
https://relicate.com/products/nappatek- ... 0664517712
John liked this
By John
The stuff Relicate is selling is a high quality vinyl with a micro fiber backing that also imitates leather.

As for Eco - leather Im not sure what they are talking about but my guess is that it is the recycled leather that is ground up and remade in to sheets of material.

Eco leather could also just me what people in Russia refer to as vinyl.
By IvanD
John wrote:The stuff Relicate is selling is a high quality vinyl with a micro fiber backing that also imitates leather.
This IS stuff I was referring to when I posted originally. Polyurethane face, felt-like backing. They just started carrying it, did you see this stuff in person?
Before I was searching and couldn't find any to buy here in USA. Just found it's interesting that Relicate started to carry it.

P.S. I am sure people in Russia don't pay $47 per yard though :) So it must be other source..
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: