By ctmk2
Hey guys!

Not sure if I have this question in the correct spot or not,
But I’ve got this issue trying to use a double fold binder with some carpet and vinyl for a customers car.

The carpet becomes “bunched” as I sew the vinyl edge… I could be totally wrong here but I believe that the high tension of the vinyl as it comes through the binder is causing an elastic effect and bunching the carpet.

I’m not sure if it’s something that can be remedied with machine tensions or if I should scrap the idea and just sew in the ditch the traditional way.

Thanks! Dave

By Adam12
I think you're right about the tension on the vinyl. I've personally never had good luck with double fold binders but i have only had cheap ones. The material doesnt seem to want to flow smoothly through the folder with the added friction of the extra folds and sticky material like vinyl compounds the problem. It could be that your feed timing is off but i suspect your machine sews fine otherwise. If it's the look you need, you can send samples to Tennessee Attachments and they will build a folder for your specific task and they guarantee it to work. Not cheap though.
John liked this
By Revv Up
I’d try putting some baby powder on the vinyl to reduce the friction or….. change to a single fold binder. I use a Sailrite Swingaway singlefold with great results
Adam12 liked this
By ctmk2
Thank you for the reply! Machine does sew fine otherwise. I have a feeling the inexpensive attachment I have is geared a bit more toward clothing and lighter material.

I’ll give Tennessee attachment a call and speak with them. For me, a functioning folder would certainly pay for itself in time.

-Dave
By MalcolmM
Binding curves is a huge PIA, I have over a dozen binders of all types and they are very picky about what material you can run through them. Try dry silicone spray on the vinyl, but if you can't pull the vinyl easily by hand you have to get a different binder. Most commercially available binders are for garment weight cloth, for heavier fabrics you have to special order. You can order double fold binding tape to run through a single fold binder, but if you need to use the exact same material as your seats then a special order binder many be your only option. Right angle binders are the most difficult to use with common upholstery materials as the feed path increases friction a great deal.
By ctmk2
Thanks guys! At least my thoughts are confirmed! It’s very difficult to pull the vinyl thru the folder. As MalcomM says, I believe the commercially available folders are for much lighter fabrics….

I did speak with Tennessee attachment, they are very knowledgeable and thorough… at some point I will probably order a custom attachment. However, at the moment I couldn’t wait the 6 weeks for delivery so I’ve resorted to doing it by hand, which really doesn’t take that much longer in the end.
By Rug Dr.
ave you tried to separate the binder where the material enters it so there is no friction at all?? Can yo use a Sunbrella binding or does it have to be vinyl?
By Matt Hamblin
@ctmk2 im right there with you. I've never had good luck trying to get the double fold attachments to work even with canvas. Single fold i can get it to work but even then is a struggle at times. I end up usually having to just do it by hand anyway.
By MalcolmM
Double fold binders are very convenient, but for thicker materials used in upholstery and bag making they are not as useful. I'm working on a project now where I am making my own double fold binding out of 12 oz canvas and then using a single fold right angle binder to apply it, seems to be working well but not with any seams so I have to cut my binding on the bias the length I need for my products. I bet you could get a custom one made, but buying pre-made carpet binding and using an off the shelf binder would be far cheaper. John's method is perfect for carpet where you don't see the underside but I am making bags so it has to look good on both sides. The straight binder worked for straight runs but failed miserably on curves so I had to get a replacement feed dog and needle plate right angle binder for my Consew and now am able to bind around corners reasonably well. I tried to use woven tape but that didn't work so the bias binding I made is what I have to use for tight curves. If I had a dedicated cylinder arm binding machine it would be another story but I'm working with a flatbed so it's been tougher. The "binding machines" have a dedicated moving binder connected to the feed dog to make binding easy but that's another $3k machine.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: