By DavidBraley
Hello!

I thought before I started asking a ton of questions, I would introduce myself to all of you here at the “Lucky Needle” Upholstery Forum. I admit to feeling “Lucky” to find this place (that was my attempt at some humor). I’ve been a quiet viewer here now for a few months, and I must say this is a very helpful and friendly place. I found the Lucky Needle website and this forum when I stumbled across some of Johns videos on YouTube.

My background: I have been a precision machinist and tool maker now for over 45 years. I am also a welder and fabricator. I have a love of classic and custom cars. Life unfortunately? fortunately? (I have no regrets) has prevented me from pursuing this passion. As I near retirement, I would really like to use my skills and the tools I have accumulated over the years to make some progress on some vehicle projects I have collected over the years.

My goals for being here on the Upholstery Forum are to try my hand at some automotive interior work. This will be strictly for my own personal projects. Well, I’m sure I’ll be helping out my friends too! At this time, I do not hope or want to try and make this into a business.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a Consew 206RB-5. I chose this machine because of the great reviews, especially the reviews from beginners. It was also a GREAT relief to learn from this forum and the Lucky Needle website that my purchase was a good choice. Before I purchased my machine, I did a LOT of research. My friends sometimes call me “Mr Analysis Paralysis” because of the amount of time I will spend doing research on a topic before I actually try doing it.

Because I don’t have unlimited funds, and I’m pretty handy with complicated and precision machines, I seriously thought about buying a used sewing machine. But because I am not familiar with this world of needle and thread, I bit the bullet and purchased a new one. The last thing I needed was to have troubles and struggle with my tools while trying to learn something new.

I hope to learn a lot from all of you!

Thanks for listening. I will ask my first of many questions in a different post.

Take care all!

David
By LLeeT
Welcome to the Lucky Needle Forum. I just recently joined also. This seems like a good place to exchange questions and answers. I also started this sewing stuff on my own 3 hot rods.
I also have taken on several "real jobs" that didn't pay much, but I enjoy doing it.
I also purchase a couple of new machines. I couldn't find a used one that I felt comfortable with, so I bought what I thought would fit my needs. So far so good.
It some times takes a couple of days to get answers, but you will get them.
Lee
By TedP
Welcome . . .

I also have the Consew 206RB, except I have the '-4' (206RB-4), but the machines (-4 vs. -5) are substantially the same. I bought mine a few years ago from someone who was getting out of the 'business' and the machine was fully operational. I just did all the timing and adjustments a few months ago, as the machine was fairly well adjusted when I got it.

IMO - the 206RB is a great machine and has most all of the features that you would want in an upholstery machine.

Like you, I have been doing my own projects - boat upholstery and canvas - and may take on a few jobs for others now and then.

Post some pictures as you proceed - lots of folks here on the forum to offer advice.
John liked this
By Sanne
Hallo David,
Im also a nooby here and just started upholstery so welcome! Great to have you here and hope to see some pictures of youre machine and projects in the future :innocent:
John liked this
By John
Welcome to the forum @DavidBraley !! Happy to have you here. You made a good choice on the 206rb-5 :thumbsup: You will be very happy with it.
By BigRig
@DavidBraley ,

Buddy we are all and one! I think the purchase of a new machine will ease your mind. I have worked in shops with new equipment and honestly cannot say it is much better at sewing then the 50's machines I use just a tad tighter.
John liked this

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: