General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Larry in OK
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on buying a industrial sewing machine. I've been sewing for decades on a mostly hobby basis and have used a variety of machines from Singer 31-15 and a couple of different shoe machines like the Landis 12 but I'm far from any kind of expert. I've been using a Sailrite LSZ-1 doing marine canvas (mostly for myself) for about 10 years now and while it is a good machine for what it is I have been running into it's limitations more and more frequently.
I've pretty well decided on the Juki DNU1541S but haven't decided on where to buy I have looked at the links to Sewing Machines Plus as well as Gold Star tools and a couple of others. Online reviews of these places are pretty scarce. I had hoped to find someplace local (Tulsa, OK area) but despite extensive google searching I'm coming up empty on local dealers.
Anyone have a suggestion or a warning about the big online sellers?

Thanks
By LLeeT
Hi Larry. I am in Broken Arrow. I have the LSZ 1 also, and the Fabricator. Right now, Sailrite has free shipping on orders over $150.00. If you would like to look at, and try my Fabricator, let me know. So far I have been pleased with it. Mostly the reason I purchased it, is because of the customer service. Each time I have had a problem, (self induces) they have been there to straighten me out.
Lee
Adam12, Larry in OK, Rhonda liked this
By Larry in OK
LLeeT wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:09 am Hi Larry. I am in Broken Arrow. I have the LSZ 1 also, and the Fabricator. Right now, Sailrite has free shipping on orders over $150.00. If you would like to look at, and try my Fabricator, let me know. So far I have been pleased with it. Mostly the reason I purchased it, is because of the customer service. Each time I have had a problem, (self induces) they have been there to straighten me out.
Lee

I've been a happy Sailrite customer for nearly a decade, never had a bad customer service experience with them and never had an issue with my LSZ1 that wasn't self induced. I appreciate the offer to test drive your machine, I'll consider it. It may well be a bias founded in ignorance but the wet sump oil system is a bit of a turn off to me but I haven't completely written off the Fabricator, yet
By Larry in OK
BigRig wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:48 am @Larry in OK , how about The Lucky Needle?
I know The Lucky Needle links to Sewingmachinesplus.com but I didn't think he was actually affiliated with them.

By BigRig
@Larry in OK , I would trust that John would assist in any issues that may arise if there were any. I would buy a machine from them in a second having talked to the sewing machine mechanics they really have a lot of years experience and know machines.
Rhonda liked this
By MalcolmM
If there is not a local dealer, search for someone who repairs sewing machines in your area and see if they can repair the one you want to buy. I have bought from Westchester Sewing and Cowboy machines before and had no problems. I've bought smaller things from GoldStar tool in LA and they were fine. There is a local dealer here in Phoenix but they only carried a limited stock and "can order anything" but today I can do that as well and don't need a "dealer" who has no inventory. Repair on the other hand, that's important when you are stuck with a broken part of a machine out of time and you can' t fix it yourself.
Mtl_Biker, Larry in OK liked this
By Rhonda
i bought my consew with a sewing machine plus
I'm just a country girl from Arkansas. I went to school with the CEO of the Company !
They were good at shipping and got a machine prompt . set up with it took some initiative.
I also have the Sailrite Fabricator which i love ! Sailrite is great with helping fix any issue you will ever have ! send you videos to help will talk you through adjustments and uh-oh what heck did i just do moments!
MalcolmM liked this
By Larry in OK
I went with the Sailrite machine. So far I'm very happy with it. Assembly really wasn't a big deal for me, maybe 3-4 hours total from opening the boxes to sewing and I didn't get in a hurry. Already done some canvas projects for a friend's sailboat and have done some vinyl practice projects.
A little bit of a learning curve coming from the Ultrafeed but nothing to major.
By LLeeT
I don't think you will regret the Fabricator. I thought it would take some time to use my knee to raise the foot. Well it did, about 20 minutes. Funny thing is, now I find my LSZ1 awkward. I still use the LSZ1 for small jobs.
Larry in OK liked this
By Larry in OK
I've had some experience with industrial machines but it was 30-ish years ago so the knee lift concept wasn't entirely foreign. Even with almost 10 years on my LSZ1 I still find myself reaching behind the needle for the foot lift once in a while. My 29K and all the older domestic machines I've used had the lift lever on the back.
Still haven't settled on a table height or position for the knee lift yet, still need to find a better sewing chair than what I'm using.
By LLeeT
All my tables are 33" tall. I don't know why I chose that height. but it seems right for me. Oh yeah, I built a table top to set the LSZ in so it would have a large working space and match every thing else to match that.
Larry in OK liked this
By Rhonda
I think you made a good choice! I like my consew! it sews well , but the fabricator came more friendly ready .
I havent tried the Juki yet , I have a friend that really likes them.
By jacob33
I love the product (Singer MX231) which is for beginners. The price was right as well. Easy to use. The only thing I did not like was that Singer no longer sends the manuals. You have to print them off. That is okay if you have a printer at home but I do not. Very inconvenient. I am very much a visual person, but Singer does not seem to have a video for my machine on their website
By emma999
Larry in OK wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:14 pm I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on buying a industrial sewing machine. I've been sewing for decades on a mostly hobby basis and have used a variety of machines from Singer 31-15 and a couple of different shoe machines like the Landis 12 but I'm far from any kind of expert. I've been using a Sailrite LSZ-1 doing marine canvas (mostly for myself) for about 10 years now and while it is a good machine for what it is I have been running into it's limitations more and more frequently.
I've pretty well decided on the Juki DNU1541S but haven't decided on where to buy I have looked at the links to Sewing Machines Plus as well as Gold Star tools and a couple of others. I checked this site but cannot find any reviews other than those for their clothing. Online reviews of these places are pretty scarce. I had hoped to find someplace local (Tulsa, OK area) but despite extensive google searching I'm coming up empty on local dealers.
Anyone have a suggestion or a warning about the big online sellers?

Thanks
I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to find a local dealer in the Tulsa area, but there are plenty of great online options available to you.

Sewing Machines Plus and Gold Star Tools both have excellent reputations and offer a wide selection of industrial machines. I would recommend reading reviews and comparing prices to ensure you get the best deal. You may also want to check out some of the other major online retailers such as Amazon, Joann, and Walmart.

Whichever source you choose, make sure to read the warranty information carefully and ask plenty of questions if you have any doubts. I hope this helps, and good luck with your purchase!
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: