When making a replacement bimini top on a sailboat would I be better off starting from scratch on the pattern or using the old top to pattern from?
The old top is in kind of rough shape and I'm concerned there is enough stretch in the old top to make patterning difficult.

I've repaired and modified several biminis, adding zippers to the bow pockets, cutting for backstays and on one I cut down the tubing and narrowed it by 4" and installed zippers in the bow pockets but I've never made a new full cover. I've watched the Sailrite video a time or two and if I can I will watch the boat canvas university video.
I have seen people get away with using old canvas for patterns, but i like to make new patterns on a bimini for several reasons. I like my bimini's to look a certain way and don't always like the way an original was put together. The original can be stretched in some places and not others. When the frame is adjustable, making new patterns also allows me to adjust the frame where i want it, when they do get stretched people tend to jack with the frame to make up for it and it gets uneven. Sailrite has good instructions, my methods are pretty similar and have worked well for me.
Larry in OK, MalcolmM liked this

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]