By ccox
In the past I've used the 3M 77 spray adhesive for attaching foam to the plywood when reupholstering restaurant seating. What Glue is being used in the class and what are the benefits of it vs the 3M 77?
By Revv Up
3M Super 77 is fine and the spray cans are great for small jobs but not very economical. Most people doing much of this usually buy a inexpensive spray gun and glue by the gallon or 5 gallon bucket. Personally I use Jeff Bond 2000 and 3000 as that’s what’s available up here in the ice floes (Canada)

They both have a quicker dry to tack time and a better grip than Super 77
John liked this
By John
I second @Revv Up and will add that in America every uses Dap Weldwood Landau Top Contact Adhesive: http://amzn.to/2nwDBO5
I'm assuming its basically the same as Jeff Bond.

I dont like super 77 at all after using sprayable contact cement. Plus its much cheaper that way.
Adam12 liked this
By Revv Up
I use a Critter sprayer like the one in your link, there isn’t really any cleanup and I just leave the glue in the gun so it’s ready for the next time. Sometimes I don’t use mine for weeks but the glue has never thickened.

About twice a year I have to pick blobs of glue off sprayer but it’s no big deal, usually it just rolls of with the heat from your hands.
Adam12 liked this
By Revv Up
@BigRig I haven’t seen it on the shelves of our local hardware store but.... I spray so much glue for my winter gig I really needed to go to a spray rig, was going through an aerosol can every day or two.
By John
This is the gun I use. https://amzn.to/2WBk5BC
I never clean it. Ive let it sit for months and typically I can just mix the old glue with fresh glue and spray it clean after a few seconds. It would be a disaster if you had to clean the gun every time you use it.
By Blucher
Thanks for your replies, RevvUp and John. I'm surprised you can leave the glue in the gun...I would have expected the really volatile solvent to flash off and leave a mess in the gun and tubes. That's good to know. I bought some 3M 77 and couldn't believe how expensive it is!

Does anyone use Weldwood's regular contact cement in these types of guns? I picked up about 85% of a gallon of it at Lowes for $9 after it apparently fell and some of it leaked out...
By BigRig
@Blucher ,

I am on board with these guys on the glue sitting and I can 100% guarantee that my pot is a disaster compared to theirs.
John liked this
By John
I have used the Regular weldwood in a gun before in a pinch. It does work. It makes quite a mess though. For some reason when I used it sprayed glue like normal but also sprayed out a very fine strands of glue also. It was almost like spider webs that floated around and stuck to things. It did work to get the job done.

I wouldn't use that stuff on anything that will be outside or in heat though.
By BigRig
@soar , I am interested in the k-grip. I will have to look at this. It is hard to get away from what I use as it is so multi purpose. But unlike Rev Up my glue does not sit well in the critter long and make a huge mess of it.

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: