General discussions about our craft and industry.
By WILD BILL
Hello all, Great site you have here.

My name is Bill and I guess I should start off by Telling you a little about what I've got, what I did, and what I'ld like to do.

So, a few years back, I bought a boat. Nothing big, a 1985 Rinker V190 bow rider. Long story short, the interior wasn't really quiet as nice as I had thought. Oh I new there were some small tears is the vinyl and it was dirty from 30 ish years of use but after getting it out a few times it became apparent that wood backing was rotted and something needed to be done.

Long story short, It was time I taught my self a new skill. Well I mean I haven't touched a sewing machine since Jr high (circa 1985) and never did anything like this so it counts. LOL

After watching a ton of video's (mostly John's and Sailrites) A friend of the family mentioned she knew a guy who was selling a machine to upgrade. So I came home with a Consew 255 RB2 in a table set up with a Sailrite servo and a speed reducing pulley set up. (he was a leather worker)

It took a few months to complete. The only original wood that was usable was the engine cover and both back to back seats. Most of the foam was ok save for the side boards, the rear sundeck, and front bow cushions.

The only thing I didn't do my self on this project was the embroidery. That same family friend was able to digitize the only good picture of the original logo and do it on her machine.

I have to admit, I enjoyed it all a lot more then I thought I would. After giving it a lot of thought, I think I want to try my hand a making boat interiors as a side gig or heck, even growing it to become full time and leave the day job.
LLeeT, TedP liked this
By Mikesimpson
If thats your first crack at doing upholstery you will do just fine. Those look great! Be very proud of that. Yours look better than many "professionals"
By WILD BILL
Thanks guys. That means a lot. :flushed:

Ddedman, I'm far from qualified to be giving lessons. I still have a lot to learn myself

Heck, at this point I don't even know what I don't know :laughing:

I don’t think the bobbin color matters as mu[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: