By Mazda Carnage
The front seats for my car don't match the interior. I decided to reupholster the center of both seats.

Original thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4697

The upholstery I ordered looked like this:

The upholstery I received looks like this:

Return shipping from Canada would cost more than I paid for the upholster.

After hand stitching the passenger seat base together I decided I'm not happy with the color of the original blue and new upholstery together.
I found a shop that does embroidery and plan to have the backrest upholstery embroidered before stitching them together.

When I had the passenger base upholstery un-stitched I contemplated dying the factory blue but that would involve pulling the factory blue upholstery off the backrest and the lower backrest cover is made of thin press wood with upholstery glued to it. The only reason I decided to upholster the seats is because the backrest is two piece:

Wrapped a piece of upholstery around the backrest center and mocked up the embroidery

Ironically the couch upholstery would look better.
To blend this new upholstery with the interior of the car I plan on hydro-graphic dipping some of the interior parts in black and blue. Maybe something like this:
What I have found so far

This is my favorite but I don't think it would match anything.

Whichever graphic I choose I will also use on some of the small black plastic pieces that are under the hood.

=======================

I feel this all won't be enough to blend the fabric into the seats, I think the fabric would look better if the factory upholstery around it was black.

I have looked into Rit Dye, dupli color vinyl and fabric paint and SEM color coat paint.
Does anyone know of a spay dye or direct application dye or upholstery paint that permanently stays on fabric and doesn't leave a rough finish?
By Adam12
Different materials take different dyes and you'll have a hell of a time dying anything that is made of polyester, or at least that's been my experience. I tried the Rit on some polyester curtains out of a boat. Trying to go from baby blue to black...went through the motions twice and didnt even darken it by 1 shade and i gave up after the second failed attempt. The SEM products i have used were for vinyl and i think it would not do well but they very well may have a product for wovens.
Mazda Carnage liked this
door card material

Any suggestions for a door card material suitable […]

MarineVinylFabric ?

Has anyone used Marine Vinyl Fabric vinyl for thei[…]

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]