Hello needlers. My 90 year old neighbor wanted me to take this old, heavier-than-dirt patio sofa to Goodwill, and somehow, it never made it past my house. Just begging to be refurbished.

Some questions I have: Rather than foam cushions, they are a box spring, covered first with burlap, then some kind of gnarly hemp looking material and finally a cotton padding underneath the vinyl covers.
The springs are rusty but in good shape, and another neighbor and I can sandblast everything to clean it up. I don't want to switch to foam cushions. When I'm done, it won't be in the rain, and I want this to look and "feel" vintage. What current materials should I cover the springs with before I put new covers on? Currently, they're soaked from being out in the rain so it's hard to tell how thick the padding was. And finally, can I get these one inch vents anywhere? They look like they are put on like those eyelet rivets they use on tarps.
I appreciate any input.
By John
Hi @JoeTheRoofer! Cool project!
I would cover the top of the cushion with a layer of canvas then 1" foam then a layer of Dacron batting that covers the tops ans down the sides.
You should be able to find those vent at most marine upholstery supply places. They are called vent grommets
Rhonda liked this
By Cody
Here’s a video that reminds me
Of the seat you have but for a car lol. It’s about like what @John suggested. Cover it with burlap or canvas. Making sure that’s taught. I would cover with foam here also. Helps to keep the material even over the springs and later on won’t move and separate. Then cover with cotton or like jihnsays again delcron. This just softens the foam feel
Up for a more natural feel.

John liked this
A number of new products have come to market which are designed to offer the softness and comfort of fibre filled cushions, but with less of a need for regular maintenance and plumping.

These cushions can be made from specially shaped foam, contain sprung interiors or mixtures of foam and feather. Speak to the sales representative to understand what type of cushions you are purchasing and the level of maintenance required.
John liked this
If I were you I'd skip the vintage stuffing. There are an enviroment for mold and mildew. And they are never comfortable. You'll be so much happy with EZ-Dri, Eva Day or Verti-Fiber. Especially with the new outdoor fabrics that are avaialble. Save your sandblasting time for sitting on the sofa!
you can find those products here.
https://albanyfoam.com/printable-catalog/
John liked this
Thanks for all the input. I have a couple of weeks to mull it over.
BigRig, this is the fabric I got for the outdoor sofa. It's a Tommy Bahama outdoor fabric I got at a clearinghouse-type place called SAS for $6.99 a yard. I liked the vintage look.
Pays0n-UK, John liked this
If your outdoor furniture chair cushions are fairly new or they’ve been well taken care of, then you will only have to do a little gentle basic cleaning. At least once a year, you need to give your cushions a basic clean to help retain their appearance.

If your cushions are zipped as per the type we sell at Lazy Susan or a velcro fastening, then remove them and place them in the washing machine using a low cycle and a mild detergent. To preserve the life of your patio furniture cushions, do not to wash the foam insert.

If you saturate the foam inner, you run the risk of causing mildew or mold growth. If your foam inserts do get wet or you can’t remove the covers and therefore you have to wash together, then make sure you dry them completely before replacing the cover.

Best way to do this is place between two towels, walk on the cushions to squeeze any moisture out and leave to dry against a radiator or in an airing cupboard if you’ve got one. Do not tumble dry the foam or covers!
John liked this
Many people have the same question - can I find some advice on old furniture cushions? The answer is a big yes, and you should know where to look. But first you need to make sure that your question is really "Can you help me" - because there is nothing wrong with asking for advice if you don't know where to go.
https://www.google.com/
Hi Joe,

I ran across cushions like this on an old hide-a-bed that a friend who had just taken an upholstery course helped me recover. According to her teacher, these are/were called marshal units. We used the old upholstery for patterns and found when it came to the cushions that they wouldn't fit. My friend found out from her teacher that these cushions needed to be compressed by a special machine that slid it into the new cover, which lucky for me, he owned and was happy to use on my cushions. I don't know if that matters but I thought I would share the experience. Good luck with your project!
John liked this
Who knows, with a little love and creativity, that old sofa could be the centerpiece of your outdoor space! You could give it a fresh coat of paint, add some new cushions, and really make it shine. And if you need any replacement parts or accessories, check out this link. They have a great selection of patio furniture supplies and decor items that could be useful for your refurbishing project. Good luck with your project, and have fun!
Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutral color palette can sometimes appear too stark and sterile for today's tastes how to order furniture online in Canada. Transitional furniture with its upholstery, softer edges and plusher fabrics can create a warmer more inviting look. When you choose transitional furniture that is similar in scale and arrange the furniture around a focal point, where is best to buy furniture , you can create a pleasant, balanced effect in the room. Transitional furniture combined with balance and symmetry can play an important role in putting together a calm room that is visually appealing. If you love the visually striking look of layered complementary textures which is the best place to buy furniture, transitional furniture is the way to go. Rather than using heavy ornamentation, the transitional home features simple silhouettes and gentle curves of modern designs coupled with interesting textures for a warm and exciting feel. Think rich fabrics on wood furniture coupled with glass and metal accents, where can i get furniture for cheap. When you choose transitional styling, use the minimalistic "less is more" method when you accessorize your room. Opt for a few carefully selected accent pieces to preserve the timeless appeal of your transitional home decor.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: