Anything about sewing machines and the tools we use.
By Anna
Hello, I can see that the tip of the hook is cutting through the thread instead of picking it up. Please see picture! How do I fix this?

The needle and thread is a match, I've sanded down the tip, I think I set the timing right, the tip of hook is placed just above the top of needle eye (approx 1.8mm above) but perhaps the timing needs tweaking?

Any support is welcome! I'd love to use the M20 thread for topstitching and like to get around this issue. It's been a painful few days 😅
By Adam12
My process would be to check in this order: correct/new needle, correct thread path, needle bar height, hook timing/clearance, bobbin case opener and check spring. Hopefully you have a manual. You didn't mention the machine model, thread and needle size or what material you are sewing. Is this a new machine or something you have been using and the issue just popped up?
By Anna
Hi Adam, thanks for your answer. I bought this machine second hand (cheap but still running great) with no manual unfortunately. I believe it's a copy of a Highlead machine.

It runs perfect with a M40 thread or thinner. I'm using a M20 thread with a 120 needle for top stitching and that's when the problem started. That needle size should be ideal for that thread so the problem lies somewhere else. I have brand new needles and thread. I'll check the bobbin but as mentioned the machine works great with a thinner thread...

I'll keep tweaking the timing perhaps...
By Adam12
If it only acts up with larger thread then it sounds like you might just need a larger needle. I'm not familiar with the "M" sized thread, most start with a "T" or a "V", do you know the tex size equivalent of what you're using?
Anna liked this
By sandmanred
When I don't have good information on setting timing I usually shoot to have the tip of the hook pass exactly at the middle of the needle scarf, the needle should have started to lift by this point as well, about 1.5-2mm depending on the machine. In your case it looks like the loop that should form in the scarf area hasn't fully formed when the hook arrives allowing it to snag the thread rather pass smoothly. You might have to adjust both needle bar height and hook timing for success.
Anna liked this
By LLeeT
I had problem like that and it turned out be that I had the needle scarf on wrong side.
Anna liked this
By Anna
Thanks for all your replies... I only know threads by M, perhaps a European unit to use.

Crazy, I was told to put the needle with the scarf to the left... Well the hook is on the right side so the needle was totally wrongly placed.

Its sewing amazing now! Such a silly mistake to make but I haven't got a manual and new to industrial machines so I guess it will be a steap learning curve.

A week of swearing and googling.. :sweat_smile:

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]