By Ron Henningsen
I have two old sunvisors to recover. They have the material sewn on the bottom (the long side opposite the bar side) and a 4 fold wrap for a finished edge. The folded edge started off about 3/4" and was then folded in quarters and sewn over the raw edge. First how can you sew such a narrow piece on a edge like this, second how can the vinyl be folded accurately this small?
I know that the old, pre-72, vinyl was a lot thinner than what can be obtained today so that's part of the issue.
The customer wants them to look like the original. He didn't ask how much, just how long it will take.
Any ideas or things others have learned trying this technique would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron
By sandmanred
Funny you should ask this question. I just got a request for some sun visors too. Here's one method I found on youtube.

Does anybody know if that's a special card stock or is it just anything suitable.

By sandmanred
FWIW I tried method in the video using what they called 1.5 mm chipboard covered with foam headliner and a layer of vinyl on a practice piece. I covered it with headliner trimmed close to the edge and a layer of vinyl just under 1mm thick oversized so I could glue it to the inside face of the chipboard. I could barely jam under the foot of a Pfaff 545 H4 for the top stitching. I'm going to try a bit thinner chipboard or something like chipboard and hopefully some thinner vinyl. Be careful to glue the vinyl very tight to the edges, I tracked off the chipboard on an inside corner I fit poorly.
By BigRig
@sandmanred , that would be a 40's pckard style and it is a hell of a tight fir under the foot. I favor this method but get tons of jams and needle breaks. Perhaps they were done on a different machine.
By sandmanred
BigRig wrote:@sandmanred , that would be a 40's pckard style and it is a hell of a tight fir under the foot. I favor this method but get tons of jams and needle breaks. Perhaps they were done on a different machine.
I agree, test piece barely fit under my foot on a Pfaff 545 H4. I used a #24 needle and T135 thread. I didn't have any jams or needle breaks, I think the big needle helped.
By lubna
Ron Henningsen wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 am I have two old sunvisors to recover. They have the material sewn on the bottom (the long side opposite the bar side) and a 4 fold wrap for a finished edge. The folded edge started off about 3/4" and was then folded in quarters and sewn over the raw edge. First how can you sew such a narrow piece on a edge like this, second how can the vinyl be folded accurately this small?
I know that the old, pre-72, vinyl was a lot thinner than what can be obtained today so that's part of the issue.
The customer wants them to look like the original. He didn't ask how much, just how long it will take.
Any ideas or things others have learned trying this technique would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron
hello,
great detailed description provided by you , I am also a blogger and you can find solution by visiting my site, [url]clicksewinghttps://clicksewing.com/
By Ron Henningsen
Bella, I went to your site, quicksewing, but did not see any information about sunvisors and the issue I posted about. In any case it would be best if you have covered this problem to cut and paste your answer on this forum so everyone could benefit from your answer. Thanks

I have mixed the bobbin colors a lot and it doesn'[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: