General discussions about our craft and industry.
Now that I got it finished, I thought I'ld share my cutting/sewing table set up.
Sewing table 00005.jpg
Sewing table 00005.jpg (327.25 KiB) Viewed 9304 times
This thing is a tank.. 5 foot by 10 foot and weighs over 500 lbs. :hushed: 1 1/2 ' solid top with 4 tanker desks as the base.

And here's the roll holder I came up with. Made from scraps of 6061 T6 I had laying around at work.
Sewing table 00006.jpg
Sewing table 00006.jpg (257.37 KiB) Viewed 9304 times
I didn't quite get 60"s between the 2 as I did want the mounts to be completely under the table. As such, I wont be able to hold a 60" roll of canvas and my prior questions about diameter should be a non issue as it sit about 11"s from the center of the notch to the tables edge.

I also made it easily removable so I can have clear access around the table when I need to work.
Sewing table 00004.jpg
Sewing table 00004.jpg (281.18 KiB) Viewed 9304 times
LLeeT, Sanne, Mikesimpson liked this
I placed it on casters and despite the weight it's pretty easy to move around. Casters are double locking if I need to lock it in place. Also set the machine table to the same height so I can place the two next to each other for more sewing support.
Sewing table 00007.jpg
Sewing table 00007.jpg (185.75 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
LLeeT, Larry in OK liked this
Last of the show and tell for now....

Apparently I have a real hard time buying something I can make. :yum:

So out of another slab of 1/2' 6061 I whipped up my version of a magnetic sewing guide.
Sewing table 00003.jpg
Sewing table 00003.jpg (410.79 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
One other small detail you might be able to see is the line I engraved in the bobbin cover that marks a 1/2" from the needle.
Sewing table 00002.jpg
Sewing table 00002.jpg (471.77 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
Sewing table 00001.jpg
Sewing table 00001.jpg (360.68 KiB) Viewed 9303 times
LLeeT, Rhonda liked this
I sure hope so. I'll be putting it to it's first use shortly.

I really wish I had this set up when I did my boat.

That I did on the floor of my living room with a a 24"x 60" mat my mother lent me with the roll of material supported by the pipe resting on 2 jackstands.
Slight upgrade made to the table today.

Added an adhesive measuring tape to each side. One reads R to L while the other side reads L to R so it's the same on either side when measuring from the roll down the length.
Attachments
Sewing table 00008.jpg
Sewing table 00008.jpg (367.76 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
Sewing table 00009.jpg
Sewing table 00009.jpg (323.35 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
Nice arrangement. In looking at the lastest pictures, it reminds me of an old drafting table my dad had with the straightedge that would slide up and down on strings, I think they are simply called a parallel straightedge. That would surely make things faster for cutting parallel cuts.
My plan is to use the side tapes to properly measure then clamp that 5' long ruler with those pony clamps on the table so I can have a nice straight edge to follow. The 5x10 cutting mat is great for material like vinyl wich is 54" wide. I can still see the numbers on the mat. However, the canvas I bought for making a cover for my boat is 60"s wide and while I can still use the mat to cut on, I can't see the numbers to line up the ruler. Hence why I went this route.

At least that's the theory :sweat_smile:
WILD BILL wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:38 pm Now that I got it finished, I thought I'ld share my cutting/sewing table set up.

Sewing table 00005.jpg

This thing is a tank.. 5 foot by 10 foot and weighs over 500 lbs. :hushed: 1 1/2 ' solid top with 4 tanker desks as the base.

And here's the roll holder I came up with. Made from scraps of 6061 T6 I had laying around at work.

Sewing table 00006.jpg

I didn't quite get 60"s between the 2 as I did want the mounts to be completely under the table. As such, I wont be able to hold a 60" roll of canvas and my prior questions about diameter should be a non issue as it sit about 11"s from the center of the notch to the tables edge.

I also made it easily removable so I can have clear access around the table when I need to work.

Sewing table 00004.jpg

Really nice set up, love it. May I ask where you got that big of a cutting mat 5' x 10'? I assume this is a cutting mat....... Thanks!
Yes, it is a self healing mat with the direct print grid on it. (love the user name BTW)

Hope your sitting down before you open this :joy:

https://www.mybinding.com/rhino-self-he ... -grid.html

They have as large as 6' x 12' with no grid....

https://www.mybinding.com/rhino-self-he ... -grid.html

As it came rolled it was kind of a pain to get to lay flat and it is a bit of work to get it on and off the table. I use the smaller mat still a lot as many times it's not worth it to manhandle the large one but when making larger pieces it sooooo much better to toss the big mat up there then to have to move the little one around a bunch of times.
door card material

Any suggestions for a door card material suitable […]

MarineVinylFabric ?

Has anyone used Marine Vinyl Fabric vinyl for thei[…]

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]