By fibersport
I just posted regarding the faux leather products for my boat interior. I have a second boat that I'm thinking of reupholstering myself, patterns and all. I was wondering if anyone has used Sunbrella or an equivalent. The boat is stored indoors 99% of the time and the cushions are not removable so while on vacation if it rains, it will get wet. Just kind of curious about the practicality of a non-vinyl material.
By Adam12
The tough part about sunbrella is going to be that it doesn't stretch. So your patterns need to be spot on, and steam won't help get wrinkles out. Can certainly be done, if it were me i'd put vinyl on the seats and upsell them on a cockpit cover :wink:.
By fibersport
It's my boat so there isn't any more money to be made! I didn't think about the lack of stretch, however the design of the seats is very simple, basically a slab of foam on a piece of plywood. Granted I'm oversimplifying but I know Sunbrella is used on interior seats and cushions as well as outdoor covers and awnings. These are similar to a box cushion that is permanently attached, the patterns can easily be made using the plywood bottoms. I like the fact that Sunbrella (or similar) wears like iron, doesn't fade and doesn't get hot and sticky like vinyl. Attached is a picture of a similar boat (not mine) and the general look of the cushions.
Attachments
meanwhilebyfrank.jpg
meanwhilebyfrank.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
By Adam12
Ok, i was imagining a bunch of bolsters, pulls and curves. Square cushions will be no problem, i think it will turn out great. Just make good pattrrns and cut with a hot knife or pinking shears. You got this!
By BigRig
@fibersport , let me know what you find for sunbrella and cost. I had a lot of it on hand for outdoor cushions this year.
Newbie Pattern Question

Can you glue it on to a piece of cardboard or boat[…]

Available Solana Nodes

Do you know where I can find available Solana node[…]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]