HELLO ALL, :wave:

AWESOME FORUM. I'M LOOKING FOR ADVICE AS TO WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE AND HOW TO FIX IT. PLEASE SEE 3 PHOTOS AND LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. I CAN GET RID OF MOST WITH TENSION, BUT DON'T WANT TO OVER-DO IT. FEEDBACK WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. CHEERS EVERYONE!

1. ON THE FRENCH SEAMS THAT ARE WRINKLED. I USED THE FOLLOWING:
- MARINE VINYL
- 1/2" SEAM STICK TAPE (SAILRITE)
- 1" POLY GROSSGRAIN WEBBING AS A BACKER (SAILRITE)
- TEX 132 THREAD
.....IE THREAD TENSION TOO TIGHT ON THE FRENCH STITCH MAYBE?

2. ON THE THREADS PULLING INTO THE FABRIC. HOW CAN I FIX THIS WHEN I HAVE THIS MANY HOURS INTO A CUSION I HATE TO HAVE TO DO THIS ALL OVER AGAIN.
- IS THIS POTENTIALLY FROM "NOT" LIFTING THE PRESSER FOOT?
- TOO MUCH FOOT PRESSURE MAYBE??
- ANY OTHER TRICKS TO PREVENT?

3. HOW MANY HOURS SHOULD A 62" X 24" CUSHION LIKE THIS TAKE IN TOTAL FOR JUST THE COVER FABRICATION AND INSTALL?

PLEASE ADVISE.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

:grinning: :grinning: :nerd:
Attachments
OVERALL.jpg
OVERALL.jpg (350.12 KiB) Viewed 501 times
STITCH PULL.jpg
STITCH PULL.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 501 times
WRINKLES.jpg
WRINKLES.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 501 times
My first thought is that you have uneven tension between the 2 material.
Are you using alignment marks to help to keep everything aligned and moving together. Too much adjustment over too short of a distance will cause issues like this.
Basting tape is a cheat, and you would be better served learning to use both hands to manage the 2 materials. 1 hand per material.
Is is also possible that you have material management issue given the size of the piece, how are you preventing the material from hanging up as it hangs over the edge of the table?
JimmieJoe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:03 pm My first thought is that you have uneven tension between the 2 material.
Are you using alignment marks to help to keep everything aligned and moving together. Too much adjustment over too short of a distance will cause issues like this.
Basting tape is a cheat, and you would be better served learning to use both hands to manage the 2 materials. 1 hand per material.
Is is also possible that you have material management issue given the size of the piece, how are you preventing the material from hanging up as it hangs over the edge of the table?
Thank you for your response I greatly appreciate your insight!!!!! My thread tensions are equal for sure, but they are 2 very different materials. The backer is non stretching where the vinyl has lots of give. Maybe this?? What could I use for a different backer that won't break down or shrink over time in the heat and moisture environment??

I am not using enough alignment marks, I have to add more for sure. I will try without basting tape as well as I think this may be causing it to pucker not allowing the material to move somewhat.

LOL. That's just it I'm not managing the materials very well at all. They are draped over a lot of the time. I have to get a wrap around on my table surface for these larger pieces for sure. However, smaller covers seem to pucker as well........at somewhat of a loss, but thinking the dissimilar materials thing ???
Thanks BigRig, I will leave it. But in starting out, I find myself striving for absolute perfection, because I have had no formal training whatsoever. My "A"type personality trait is really showing itself now, and I just flat out don't know what the general expectations are in this regard for customer satisfaction etc. How long would it take an experienced person to complete this piece with ends capped with custom piping on a square 62" x 24" cushion ?
8675-30-9 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:45 pm
Thank you for your response I greatly appreciate your insight!!!!! My thread tensions are equal for sure, but they are 2 very different materials. The backer is non stretching where the vinyl has lots of give. Maybe this?? What could I use for a different backer that won't break down or shrink over time in the heat and moisture environment??

I am not using enough alignment marks, I have to add more for sure. I will try without basting tape as well as I think this may be causing it to pucker not allowing the material to move somewhat.

LOL. That's just it I'm not managing the materials very well at all. They are draped over a lot of the time. I have to get a wrap around on my table surface for these larger pieces for sure. However, smaller covers seem to pucker as well........at somewhat of a loss, but thinking the dissimilar materials thing ???
1) If you move the materials together without introducing push or pull into either material it will not matter if there is a difference in the material. It is the pushing or pulling unevenly between the materials that causes issue. This is a learned skill and takes practice.

3) Material management is also a learned skill. You do not want the material in contact with the edge of your table as this cause a significant increase in friction on 1 material and much less on the other material introducing a pull on 1 of the materials. I typically put the material in my lap if using a small table top and periodically adjust the material in my lap so that the material is always bowed over the edge and not touching the edge. For really big stuff like tents I add a 10’ extension in front and behind my table so I can manager 4 to 10 yard long seams.
Rhonda liked this
Newbie Pattern Question

If you use one of those large straight edges they […]

Boat project

Looks great!

When it comes to fine furniture store waterloo ,[…]

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin: